Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Termi Slip On Map - Meant to say Racing?

19K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Brianq103 
#1 ·
I had the first service done a few weeks ago and at the same time handed over the Termi map key thingy for them to upload to suit the slip-ons (not full system). I was under the impression that the dash would say Racing or Racing Evo, or something along those lines to show it has been uploaded. Is this meant to happen, or is it only for the full system.?

#6 ·
Mine has the dealer installed Termi slip-ons (I bought it new that way) and it doesn't flash anything like "racing" or evo at startup.

The dealer gave me my stock slip-ons and the stock ECU. I'm thinking maybe if they installed a brand new ECU then it might not show anything on dash. If you purchase an upgrade Termi kit it may come with a key?.?. I don't know but will ask my dealer tomorrow.

Surely they did the software upgrade since I have the stock unit in a box,.... They had to put something in its place.

#10 ·
mtb - thanks for the clarification on the key vs. USB - I did not see them do the work. My main point was that i don't think they changed the ECU, so the prior poster most likely should not have had a leftover ECU on a 1200 monster.

The Tech who did the work also told me that there was an update to the bike's firmware that he was able to upload at the time.

My bike does not pop or back fire much, at least not nearly as much as my '07 Monster S4RS with full termi's on it - that bike snarls and barks!

#11 ·
I contacted the dealer and received a response stating the Racing words were removed a number of months ago with an update. It was done apparently for legal reasons. They said they first noticed when flashing a Diavel where it also used to say it but no longer does. The offer was made for me to drop by anytime and they can double check the correct file was loaded. I do work in the engine management industry and what he had to say sounded believable to me.

#13 ·
I had my upmap installed three weeks ago - still says Racing. The Termis I installed were purchased a couple of months ago. After the tech did my 'unlock' he also said he did a new firmware update and my bike did need something new. If he was unlocking the new map due to it already being in the bike, I can understand why it would still say Racing as it's a 2015. However, if he did a new firmware reload I would have thought this would have been updated too. Anyway - it works and I don't mind that it says Racing :wink

#15 ·
Took mine in for its 9000mi service and also brought the up map key. The dealer verified my bike did not have the upmap installed even tho they sold me the bike with the Termi kit already installed at their shop. The bike was new when I purchased it. They really had no answer except that they would contact Ducati this week and let me know something. They tried for over 2 hours to get the key to update the map but they were unsuccessful and didn't have any clue as to why.

My big question was why they didn't notice this when they originally installed the system to begin with! Obviously they weren't able to unlock the upmap at that time but put the bike on the showroom floor with the Termi kit (and charged me for it) and sold the bike to me.....that was almost 2 years ago! So I've been riding for 9000 miles with the wrong map??:frown:frown

Hopefully Ducati and the dealer will make this right....but I'm disappointed.

#17 ·
I went to the dealer today to have them check my bike out. I watched as they went online with it and sure enough it was still on the standard map. In went the map key and I saw it go through the upload process with the prompt about this being for competition use only, blah blah blah, yes/OK, and then the dash lights all flashing and the count from 0 to 100% over a couple of minutes. Afterwards the status showed Competition 1, and when the key is turned on it now says "Racing".

I took a few photos of the process, but I am not allowed to attach just yet.

So there you go. It is meant to say Racing.

#18 ·
I'm glad you guys are getting yours straightened out. After taking mine in for service, they were not able to get my up map key to initiate. They were not able to get it to work at all. So I've been waiting for 3 weeks for Ducati and the dealer to decide what is wrong or what they are going to do. I had to send pics of my upmap key serial number and the Termi box labels.
So far, I got nothing. The dealer said that it's possible the ecu is causing the issue but he doesn't know. They said they are waiting on Ducati rep to help them with the problem.
So I'm still riding it as is...like I've done since it was new 2 yrs ago. Everyone else seems to make it sound super easy and quick. Not sure why my dealer can't get it done.

#19 ·
I watched the process and it is fairly straight forward. The wiring harness that connects to the diagnostic port and goes to the DDS box has a branch that allows the Map Key to be plugged in. The system detects the map key is there and says a map update is available in the list. It can only be either their harness has something wrong (but they would not be able to do any other bikes) or the map key is faulty. The initialisation occurs before you give it the go-ahead to do the upload process so first guess is your ECU is fine. I am sure your dealer will sort it out.

I dont know what you guys thought, but my bike now pulls much cleaner from 2000rpm onwards. Before it was rough as hell below 3000. It is making the bike much easier to ride with less downshifts. If you are running any other type of exhaust I would be trying to find a way to get the map uploaded to your bikes.

#21 ·
So 3 visits and a month later still no UPMAP installed. The dealer said they contacted Ducati ( which took a month) and tried what they recommended but it didn't work....
So now the dealer puts in another tech request this week and we will see what Ducati does this time. Both sides are blaming the other and it's really upsetting. The tech even said, "well it's not a big deal since it really doesn't do much, you won't even notice"! So I said, then why did you charge me almost $2500 if it doesn't do anything?....he just got quite.
So, I'll have to wait weeks again, call the dealership several times to get them to get Ducati to recommend another solution, take it back again, waste another 4 hours on a Saturday for nothing, not happy! I was told to get there this sat at 8:30 am as they open at 9. There were 4 guys already there ahead of me....so it was noon when they pulled me in. 10 mins go by and they tell me it didn't work, again.
I really feel cheated by the dealer. They should be trying to make this right... I assume they think they are but blaming Ducati and scratching their heads isn't good enough.
This isn't something I caused. The bike is still under warranty but only for a few more months. Someone must know how to resolve this. Even if they have to install a new termi kit if this one won't work

#22 ·
I had Termi slip-on's installed by my dealer last weekend. But the map update would not work. The U.S. Rep got back to them in the week and they tried a number of things, but nothing worked. It affected another customers Panigale too. They got in contact with Italy direct and yesterday tracked down the problem to a corrupt online file. Ducati refreshed the file yesterday and apparently the update worked successfully on the other customers Panigale, so they're expecting it to work on my Monster 1200 R too. I'm going to drop by later today and get it remapped.

#26 ·
I dont believe the map data is actually on the device. It is more likely just a way to trigger the system to recognise that the exhaust has been purchased and to associate it with the VIN. The maps would be already on the laptop and to ensure all normal updates are applied they most likely simply replace sections of the flash memory containing the relevant tables, and not all of it. So I doubt it could be done in the aftermarket without a huge investment of time and money, together with extensive knowledge on how the system works. This is only an educated guess.

In the end, let the dealer do it. Mine was free of charge to upload.

#27 ·
I got my Termi's installed last week (1200R) I got a piece of paper from the dealer showing the readout / update had worked.
Mine does briefly say "RACING" when the dashboard starts up.

The mapping is Flashed onto the bikes ECU as (certainly here) apparently it's not legal to have multiple engine maps !!
I also got a USB type device with the original ECU mapping, that I can plug in if I ever remove the Termi's and want to revert.
(think this can be done by myself)

I'm in the UK by the way.

#28 ·
I have the same setup. I'm curious, how do you unload it yourself? My dealer gave me my USB back that had the original upmap, but didn't say a thing about why - I presumed it still had the original upmap on it. I see your point though - perhaps the original map was put back on the USB the termi map came on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.