Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 1200 R Aftermarket Exhaust

66K views 117 replies 22 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Termignoni indeed. They are so dependent on Ducati you may as well consider them a Duc subsidiary. :wink

If so much KoolAid had not heretofore been consumed, Ducati would have already gone full over to Akraovic. :devil

No remapping necessary for most slip ons. SC Project web site says no remap needed for theirs.

#5 ·
Nothing to stop you from remapping any time you want to but, that is not to say that it is necessary. Several criteria can be improved upon just about any time that a remap is done. But that does not make it necessary. SC Project is not the only supplier of slip ons to state that a remap is not necessary for their product.

I have an 1100 evo with a PCV AutoTune on it. Every time I look at the trim table it recommends changes. I stopped doing the changes when it became apparent that I could not detect any difference in the way the bike ran. I'm just not good enough of a rider to need, and be able to use, perfection. Others may be.

#7 ·
Just got a msg from SC-Project that they will be offering an S1 variant for the M1200R in a few weeks!

Akra and CompWerkes will have to play catch up if they don't come out with something soon.

I was leaning toward waiting for CompWerkes but the S1 is now at top of my list. It is a sick piece of plumbing!

#9 ·
Akra and CompWerkes will have to play catch up if they don't come out with something soon.

I was leaning toward waiting for CompWerkes but the S1 is now at top of my list. It is a sick piece of plumbing!
I couldn't agree more!

First of all, there aren't going to be many of us 1200 R owners.

Second of all, we ALL want a better exhaust system and not many of us are willing to pay $1700 for the Termignonis.

Third, IMHO, slip-ons are the way to go for our bike because we already have updated, larger diameter headers. I'll admit it, I want less weight and the cool SOUND! the "3%" of claimed BHP increase way up top in the powerband isn't really what I'm after.

Fourth, most of us aren't going to wait around for seemingly uninterested manufacturers--COUGH: Competition Werkes--to throw something together.

All that said, some manufacturers--COUGH: R&G--seem to have rushed too quickly and came out with garbage (e.g. R&G tail tidy and R&G exhaust hanger).

#10 · (Edited)
Good summary, phantom.

I hate boat anchor stock exhausts! :devil

I definitely do not care for the Termi 1 into 2 can design. Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Also, having disassembled several Termis to core them for friends, I am less than impressed with their material and assembly quality. I know many in this community are dedicated to them and that is fine, but I am not one of them.

I tried to contact several exhaust companies inquiring if they had plans to do an R exhaust and most never replied. CompWerkes, ShiftTech and SC-Project did. Having used Akrapovic once before, I wanted to consider them also, but did not care for their overall length. I am glad to see that plans for a Shift-Tech product has now been posted. When I first contacted them their reply was less than encouraging because they kept trying to tell me that the normal 1200 can would also fit the R. Several attempts to tell them that the system diameter was different did not seem to change their mind. Glad that that got worked out.

As of this morning I was still contemplating CW and SC-P. I had a fair understanding of the CW can, having had one on my evo. I still had a few questions about the SC-P that I could not figure out on my own so I called them. I spoke with Brandon who was very knowledgeable and answered my questions to my satisfaction. I mulled it over a bit more and then placed an order for the SC-Project CF Conic. I picked the Conic over the Oval purely because I think it looks better. The SC-P S1 was not a realistic consideration because it does not accommodate a DB killer. IMO the SC-P Conic looks better than the CW and I really like that it comes with a relatively longer link pipe which should provide a bit more heel room.

Since SC-P cans are made to order it will be several weeks before I receive mine. I do suspect that they probably stock some of the more popular bike systems. In the interim I'll be fabricating a hanger out of 4130 tubing. I really do not care for passenger pegs on Monsters and remove them. Even though I still have the stock exhaust, one of the first things I did to my R was to remove the peg bracket and replace it with a temporary one I fabricated out of 0.312" 6061.

So, once it gets here and installed I'll post pics. :smile

#15 ·
Catalytic Converter & Exhaust 'Flap'

Can anyone tell me what removing the cat has when putting a Slip-On on ?

Also, the flap / valve - what does it do and does this need to be removed also ?

I'm back into biking after 27 years and these things didn't exists when I last rode Lol :)

#16 ·
Can anyone tell me what removing the cat has when putting a Slip-On on ?

Also, the flap / valve - what does it do and does this need to be removed also ?

I'm back into biking after 27 years and these things didn't exists when I last rode Lol :)
27 years you say? Easy, hacksaw all that crap off and exhaust clamp ones of these on. Don't forget a stage III Factory jet kit.

Not sure on the cat, don't believe it's removed when you go the slip on route?

As for the flapper, IMHO (as other's will disagree), it's just there to pass noise regs. You could gut it or hack it off and not make a difference other than noise.

Also, you're a liar, exhaust flappers totally existed 27 years ago. ;)

#18 ·
This is a Monster 1200S slip on and link pipe by Akrapovic. on a 1200R

They have no plans to do the bracket any time soon.

I think I am going for it. With a carbon fiber can :)

Seems easy to build a hanger for it. Heck, I remember when there were no hangers and the Yoshi exhaust stuck out like 400 feet!

The flapper provides low end resistance to give the motor something to work against during low RPM. It means more torque, a lot of high end vehicles have them, like my Ferrari 430.

Attachments

#26 ·
Just ordered an SC Conic for my 1200R. I'm feed up with keep hitting my heel on the standard lump of a can every time I move my feet on the pegs. Excellent value for money compared to the only other offering i've found (Termi) this side of the Atlantic (UK).

I like the look of the conic on the R and hope the quality is as good as the website photogallery shows when it arrives. The website states 15 working day delivery here in Europe but this is the Italians we are talking about and they do seem to work to a different calendar to us. That said it's under half the price of the termi here in the UK at £335 (400 Euro) so that's a saving worth waiting a week or two for.

Will keep you all posted on progress.

#28 ·
Ian,

I haven't really looked at the Termi price personally but the salesman at the Stealership had them fitted to his and told me £750.

My main concern about the SC Project is going to be if they deliver anywhere near to the quoted timescale. A lot of the Triumph boys rate the SC Project stuff on the Speed Triples so I thought I'd take a chance at the price.

I'm not too worried about power gains as longs as it doesn't leave holes in the power curve. It's more about the looks and foot positioning for me as I hate the standard pipes but that wasn't going to put me off of buying the bike. I'm only up to just over 300 mile at the mo but that will be getting racked up a bit next month as I'm off for a lap of France at the start of July after my 1st service.

#29 ·
I've been in email contact with UK importers for Akrapovic (nice guy) and they have checked / confirmed that the 1200S slip on has a diameter of 65mm where it would connect to the downpipes. I've measured my 1200R and it's only 62mm. We were both surprised.

So, I've no idea how @hairymeister has got his fitting !! Bespoke link pipe ?????

#31 ·
Ian. not sure how he has mounted it unless he's sleeved the link pipe or had one swaged out to suit.

on a plus note I just got confirmation that my pipe is being dispatched so I should get it this week sometime. will post up some pics before I fit it so you can see if the quality is any good. with the exchange rate it worked out around £330.
It fits. No issues, at all. Not sure where people are pulling their measurements from, but here's pics of a 1200S Akra on a 1200R with their 1200S link pipe. No custom link pipe needed, no mods to it, no leaks.

The mounts do not line up (I cut mine off the passenger peg bracket and moved it.

Attachments

#30 ·
Ian. not sure how he has mounted it unless he's sleeved the link pipe or had one swaged out to suit.

on a plus note I just got confirmation that my pipe is being dispatched so I should get it this week sometime. will post up some pics before I fit it so you can see if the quality is any good. with the exchange rate it worked out around £330.

#32 ·
It arrived today!

The SC Project Conic high level silencer for the 1200R arrived today.

Pleasantly surprised that our Italian friends delivered to the UK in just over a week from placing the order.

The initial view is that it looks great quality and well made :nerd and a hell of a lot better than the original scrap metal. It comes with all the springs and fitting kit as required and even a "removed-able" baffle to keep the noise boys happy at UK track days.

Will try to fit it tomorrow and report back on fitment and sound. I'll be too busy to get out most of the weekend and the bikes not had it's 1st service yet but i'll report back on performance when I can. :grin

Attachments

#33 ·
The SC Project Conic high level silencer for the 1200R arrived today.

Pleasantly surprised that our Italian friends delivered to the UK in just over a week from placing the order.

The initial view is that it looks great quality and well made :nerd and a hell of a lot better than the original scrap metal. It comes with all the springs and fitting kit as required and even a "removed-able" baffle to keep the noise boys happy at UK track days.

Will try to fit it tomorrow and report back on fitment and sound. I'll be too busy to get out most of the weekend and the bikes not had it's 1st service yet but i'll report back on performance when I can. :grin
Looks very nice. Looking forward to the review.

#34 ·
Glad to read about it! Today makes a month that I've been waiting for mine. Guess it takes a long time for a raft to float here. :devil
Is the supplied logo a decal or a rivet on piece? Also curious about the weight. Was it by chance marked on the package?

Installation should be a piece of cake. :smile

#35 ·
the fit was a bit of an issue with the link pipe not fitting far enough onto the downpipes. basically they swage the pipe to a larger diameter where it goes on. they haven't done this on a long enough section so the bolt holes were about 15 mm out at the rear. I took a few mm off the link pipe where it joins the silence... not too much so the springs still work. I then opened up the bracket on all 3 holes to move it forward. I also used the original rear mouting spacer rather than the one in the kit as it makes the fix more solid.

noise wise. with it without the baffle seems to make little difference. its an odd sound as it's a 2-1 system. im use to deep booming termis on 996 and 899.

performance. at the min I can't see much if a gain but im still running in so not going too hard or high on the revs.

all that said it's well made and looks great in my opinion. the fitment isn't really an issue if you think about how to get the extra mm's needed rather than just swearing and throwing it about ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.