Monster 1200 R Aftermarket Exhaust - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 25Likes

post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Monster 1200 R Aftermarket Exhaust

Hats off to SC Project for being the first to support the M1200R.

https://sc-project.us/conic-exhaust-...ab-description

So far, nothing from CompetitionWerkes other than vague maybes.

Last edited by oldndumb; 05-17-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM

thank you for this!

well...

technically, termignoni was 'the first' to make pipes for your bike.

but nice exhaust for under $600!

I like how it shows the back wheel off. I wonder what kind of re-mapping this will need.
DarR likes this.

2014 Harley-Davidson VRSCDX Denim Black.

2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Thrilling Black.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Termignoni indeed. They are so dependent on Ducati you may as well consider them a Duc subsidiary.

If so much KoolAid had not heretofore been consumed, Ducati would have already gone full over to Akraovic.

No remapping necessary for most slip ons. SC Project web site says no remap needed for theirs.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 PM

Hmph.

I've never done a slip-on without re-mapping/jetting...

post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Nothing to stop you from remapping any time you want to but, that is not to say that it is necessary. Several criteria can be improved upon just about any time that a remap is done. But that does not make it necessary. SC Project is not the only supplier of slip ons to state that a remap is not necessary for their product.

I have an 1100 evo with a PCV AutoTune on it. Every time I look at the trim table it recommends changes. I stopped doing the changes when it became apparent that I could not detect any difference in the way the bike ran. I'm just not good enough of a rider to need, and be able to use, perfection. Others may be.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 AM

I went with the Termi's, had the pipes thrown in on the final cost of the R. Dont know what they sound like or look like other than pics. Will be back stateside in a few days to start riding.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Just got a msg from SC-Project that they will be offering an S1 variant for the M1200R in a few weeks!

Akra and CompWerkes will have to play catch up if they don't come out with something soon.

I was leaning toward waiting for CompWerkes but the S1 is now at top of my list. It is a sick piece of plumbing!
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:01 AM

phantom menace likes this.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldndumb View Post
Akra and CompWerkes will have to play catch up if they don't come out with something soon.

I was leaning toward waiting for CompWerkes but the S1 is now at top of my list. It is a sick piece of plumbing!
I couldn't agree more!

First of all, there aren't going to be many of us 1200 R owners.

Second of all, we ALL want a better exhaust system and not many of us are willing to pay $1700 for the Termignonis.

Third, IMHO, slip-ons are the way to go for our bike because we already have updated, larger diameter headers. I'll admit it, I want less weight and the cool SOUND! the "3%" of claimed BHP increase way up top in the powerband isn't really what I'm after.

Fourth, most of us aren't going to wait around for seemingly uninterested manufacturers--COUGH: Competition Werkes--to throw something together.

All that said, some manufacturers--COUGH: R&G--seem to have rushed too quickly and came out with garbage (e.g. R&G tail tidy and R&G exhaust hanger).

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Good summary, phantom.

I hate boat anchor stock exhausts!

I definitely do not care for the Termi 1 into 2 can design. Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Also, having disassembled several Termis to core them for friends, I am less than impressed with their material and assembly quality. I know many in this community are dedicated to them and that is fine, but I am not one of them.

I tried to contact several exhaust companies inquiring if they had plans to do an R exhaust and most never replied. CompWerkes, ShiftTech and SC-Project did. Having used Akrapovic once before, I wanted to consider them also, but did not care for their overall length. I am glad to see that plans for a Shift-Tech product has now been posted. When I first contacted them their reply was less than encouraging because they kept trying to tell me that the normal 1200 can would also fit the R. Several attempts to tell them that the system diameter was different did not seem to change their mind. Glad that that got worked out.

As of this morning I was still contemplating CW and SC-P. I had a fair understanding of the CW can, having had one on my evo. I still had a few questions about the SC-P that I could not figure out on my own so I called them. I spoke with Brandon who was very knowledgeable and answered my questions to my satisfaction. I mulled it over a bit more and then placed an order for the SC-Project CF Conic. I picked the Conic over the Oval purely because I think it looks better. The SC-P S1 was not a realistic consideration because it does not accommodate a DB killer. IMO the SC-P Conic looks better than the CW and I really like that it comes with a relatively longer link pipe which should provide a bit more heel room.

Since SC-P cans are made to order it will be several weeks before I receive mine. I do suspect that they probably stock some of the more popular bike systems. In the interim I'll be fabricating a hanger out of 4130 tubing. I really do not care for passenger pegs on Monsters and remove them. Even though I still have the stock exhaust, one of the first things I did to my R was to remove the peg bracket and replace it with a temporary one I fabricated out of 0.312" 6061.

So, once it gets here and installed I'll post pics.
phantom menace and DarR like this.

Last edited by oldndumb; 05-23-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode