Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Standard rider weight for Monster 1200s

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Bono61 
#1 ·
I recently went and had my first service completed. While I was there I had them adjust my suspension for me. According to the mechanic, I am too light for the bike (165 lbs), and they could by adjust it anymore. I was told I need to order new springs if I really want it set properly.

My question is what is the standard weight for this bike? I didn't realize I would be in this situation. Also, have others had to get new springs to get their suspension set properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
This is actually an interesting point. Most bikes (alot of the Japanese bikes) are sprung for riders in the 165 weight range. Most of my Japanese bikes required a change to the spring to a heavier one as I weight 225 with full gear. My Monster was easily set for my weight with room to stiffen it up...

I don't know what the Monster's range is but thats very interesting that it could have been sprung for the heavier American population..

#4 ·
That seems odd to me. Historically, Ducatis are set up for just about that weight of rider. That's what I weigh, and one of the reasons I bought and have been so happy with my Monster is that it fit me perfectly right out of the box.

Maybe newer ones are set up differently; I don't know. But I'd get a second opinion before having any work done to "fix" it.

PhilB

Reactions: Rosso Classico
#6 ·
That seems odd to me. Historically, Ducatis are set up for just about that weight of rider. That's what I weigh, and one of the reasons I bought and have been so happy with my Monster is that it fit me perfectly right out of the box.

Maybe newer ones are set up differently; I don't know. But I'd get a second opinion before having any work done to "fix" it.

PhilB

I agree. I know I was the right weight for my 696. The shop is a very reputable shop too. They had me sit on it and measured compression and adjusted according to that.

#19 ·
I'm wondering if the OP asked for them to adjust the bike because they felt the need for it, ie being tossed around while riding or finding bumps upsetting the handling or something? I guess what I'm asking is, do you feel like getting new springs would make the ride better or is this something that's been thrown out there by the shop that you wouldn't have otherwise bothered about?

#20 ·
Funny experiment I did the other day. I had to take these brake rotors to get resurfaced so I threw them in a back pack and rode the bike.
They had to be around 60-80lbs total which brought my weight to 200-220lbs ish. Bike still felt the same to me really. Still bouncy.

#22 ·
From the owners manual ..... It is follow by the table that show how to set up both front and back and both 1200 and 1200S

CHOOSING THE SUSPENSION SETTING The values in the table are indicative. They have been calculated considering a dressed rider weighing 176 - 198 lb (80 - 90 kg) and a dressed passenger weighing 154 - 176 lb (70 - 80 kg).

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.