Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Fuel smell from exhaust

9K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  RedHouse 
#1 ·
I've had a few people riding behind me tell me that the exhaust has a fuel smell to it. My bike has Termi slip-on's and the ECU flash that came with the termi's.

I'm really not too worried about as I'm getting good mileage, but the DB killers are coated with soot. Doesn't seem to happen if I'm riding fairly easy....just when I get on the throttle aggressively. And then I'm not sure if it's from rolling on the throttle, or letting it snap shut after getting on it to let the engine brake slow me down. Might be letting a bunch of raw fuel into the exhaust?

Just wondering if anybody else with the termi's and ECU flash noticed the same thing?

#6 ·
That's good mileage. If you are relying on the computer though, invariably it will be optimistic. Using the odometer miles and fuel added from the gas pump is much more accurate. My computer is about 10% optimistic.

If you change out your air filter, you will breathe better and lean out the mixture and maybe eliminate the fuel smell.

#10 ·
I didn't advocate running a lean mixture, but that by increasing his airflow, his mixture will "maybe" lean out enough to eliminate the fuel smell. What I should have said is "less rich". His computer remap is designed/programmed with the assumption that the stock air filter has been replaced. Because he is still using the stock air filter is why he has soot showing at his exhaust tips and the smell of unburied exhaust.

#12 ·
So I just installed a K&N filter this morning, then went out for a nice ride. Bike runs great, don't know if the fuel smell issue is still there or not, as I was riding solo. MPG went up a bit...was getting 45mpg on today's ride....according to the computer. I'll double check to see how far off it is.

It seemed like there was less popping/backfiring too....runs very smooth.

Filter is super easy to install....took about 20 minutes, including lifting the tank. I should have pulled off the charcoal canister while I was at it, but I guess I'll do that later.

Also installed some new Rizoma Spy-R mirrors, so I had to check them out too! Beautiful day for a ride...sunny and 75°...lots of bikes headed up to Laconia for bike week...I went the other direction, and hit some nice twisty back roads.

#14 ·
ecu flash?

Curious about the ECU flash... When purchasing the Termi's from Ducati a new separate ECU Module comes with it and the performance air filter, at least it did in 2012 when I bought my first Monster. I take it that's not the case now. Is your re-flash form Rexxer? :0

#15 ·
The termi's for my 1100S Multistrada came with a new ECU and a new air filter. The termi's for the 1200 Monster do not come with a new air filter. And the ECU flash comes on a USB thumb drive that the dealer has to install. They place the stock map onto the thumb drive after they install the new map to the ECU.

#16 ·
Not entirely true. It isn't a usb thumb drive, it plugs into the diags port under the seat. It also doesn't reflash. The ECU comes with the Termi map built in along side the stock one. The key just unlocks it and enables it. Stock map is still there unused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.