Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Slip on mufflers

14K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Looking for a slip on muffler for my new 1200s.
Dont want anything too loud though.

Any recommendations????

#2 ·
Well, I think many of us have passed trough that dilema. It depends in many factors, being the first one personal preference. However, cost, design, brand, sound, bike usage, etc. may affect your decision.

After a lot of research I decided for a Titanium Remus Hypercone exhaust, and I got it based on the following factors:

1-I like the Termis since they're official Ducati stuff, but they're very expensive. So yeah, cost it is.
2-I like a cleaner look that shows better the rear wheel, so I looked at the Competition Werkes exhaust which is the smallest and relatively cheap, but I've seen some reliability issues and it points slightly upward. I plan to have some SW-Motech saddlebags and I don't want them to get burned by the exhaust, so I looked for another option with the exhaust pointing in a similar direction as the OEM exhaust
3-Akrapovic is a good brand and have a lot of experience in the automitive industry. Actually, they officially do some exhausts for Ducati's Panigale lineup. But, the exhuast is too long for my taste and goes against point 2
4-Remus is also a good brand with a lot automotive experience too, the price is similar to Akrapovic (and around half of the Termis) it comes with all the adaptors, DB killer and brackets (some brands require aditional link pipes or DB killer) and the audio clips I found on the web sounded very nice.
5-For other brands I checked (Arrow, Mivv, etc) either I didn't like the design or were not practical to import over here.

My impressions with the Remus:

-It sounds AWESOME, I didn't bother to test it with the DB killer so I cannot give you that feedback, but without it sounds great, a deeper growlat idle, and much more aggresive when putting gas on it. For my taste is not that loud but the DB killer is always an option.
-It's much more compact and lighter than the OEM, I didn't weighted it but I don't race my bike so it's not that important to me.
-It's easy to install, 2 bolts and some elbow grease.
-I feel the bike has a better response, but it might be my imagination (however I enjoy it even more with the new exhaust)
-I don't know how much power do I really get, but the bike already has enough for me.
-it sounds AWESOME, yes, it deserves an extra point.

Attached are before and after pics, I haven't had time or a nice day to take pictures of the complete bike but you'll get the idea.

Below are the links for the before and after sound tests, it's only at idle for now, I will upload a riding clip once I get proper wind noise cancellation.

Before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knRktjGLZ70

After
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjvEjqgE0s

In the end, it comes to your own preference, this just might help you on your research.

Attachments

#13 ·
2-I like a cleaner look that shows better the rear wheel, so I looked at the Competition Werkes exhaust which is the smallest and relatively cheap, but I've seen some reliability issues and it points slightly upward. I plan to have some SW-Motech saddlebags and I don't want them to get burned by the exhaust, so I looked for another option with the exhaust pointing in a similar direction as the OEM exhaust
Nomad, What reliability issues have you heard about the Competition Werkes?

Also, I have the SW Motoech Blaze Bags and love them. Do you think the Remus pipe will b low the exhaust past the bags or directly into the bags?

#9 ·
I also run the Remus titanium exhaust. Not too loud (i run the db killer that I shortened about an inch) exposes the rear wheel more and should pick ap a few hp in the upper rpms.

Reasons:
Cost vs performance (termis are crazy expensive for a marginal gain)
Sound
Looks

I do get some exhaust pops on decel once the bike gets warm. Not many, just one or two after a long application of throttle. Like coming off the highway (doesn't do it from light to light etc)

#10 ·
I also run a Remus and like it. Wish it didn't clip the top corner of the wheel off as I really want to show off the entire single swing arm, but way better than stock or the Termis.

Alternatively, I'm now looking at the Competition Werkes. Sounds killer (loud!), and shows the full rear wheel off.

#18 ·
I know that the Termi's are expensive, but isn't one of the benefits of the Termi's an ECU remap that is good for some horsepower (7?) all by itself? I have the non S 1200. It seems to me that because of this remap, the Termi's are unquestionably going to provide me the most power. Actually, isn't this also true with the S model?

#20 · (Edited)
Hmmm. I did not get that impression from the Ducati guys at the motorcycle show this past winter. Aren't all the accessory muffler systems/slip-ons "for off road use only"? You may be right though. I will check this out further with the mechanics at my local dealer.

Edit: I just checked the Ducatiusa website and there is a "homologated" slip-on version, but it appears to be designed for the EU market. I don't think it's available in the US because there is no price listed for it.

Anyways, with the racing version you get a remap. Does that alone unlock some horsepower? Of course it does. Therefore, a Termi racing slip-on will almost certainly give you more power than an aftermarket slip-on. Whether it's worth the extra dollars is a whole 'nother question.

#21 ·
I have the homologated Termis for my 1200S (only because it was being discounted heavily by the dealer).

I don't think it unlocks any extra power, but the change in exhaust sound is sublime and nice. When idling, the bike sounds like it's boiling water with its burbles, and once in a while, I take out the DB killers and enjoy creating a sonic boom in the road tunnels (and pray no cops appear). It's more of a cosmetic benefit - it sure looks much nicer than the stock pipes.

#26 · (Edited)
I had the slip on termis without the cat-with the ECU remap on my 1200S for a year and a half until this spring. With DB killers it sounds fantastic and was not a problem for road use. Just about right. With DB killers out it's a little loud for some tastes but still not bad. It stands out, even at Ducati group track days. I've had a couple people comment that they could always tell when I was on the back straight.
Benefits for me:
1. Sound, including nice pops on runoff. Deeper, less clacky than stock
2. Looks. I love the carbon, proportions are just right for me with the tail tidied up and plate up under the seat.
3. Horsepower-It's there, but less than 10 on top of 145. Remember when 145 was a lot of horsepower? I could notice the difference, but only pulling hard out of a corner with the front lifting a bit. For normal road use, what's the difference between 145 and 152 horsepower, especially with all the torque these bikes have?

It's this one:
https://amsducati.com/termignoni-ducati-monster-1200-slip-on-exhaust

Looks like I'm going to have to sell it and get another for the 1200R with a different bracket and map key. Can't find just the bracket or the map key for the R. Termignoni and Ducati dealers aren't particularly motivated to help me out with this one. If anyone's interested in a good deal on the used exhaust with the USB map key for a 1200S, PM me and help me ease the pain. I miss the sound.....

#29 ·
I received the pipe and installed it today. Clearance for the SW Motech bags is MUCH better than the stock pipes.

The Remus pipe is excellent quality manufacturing. Sound is great and the I think the power is a little more, it seems like the front wheel lifts off the ground a little easy when it did not before.

I did try the pipe with DB Killer in and also out. I prefer the sound with them in. Just a little less harsh and a little deeper. They are still loud with the DB killer in, just have that harsh edge taken off. The DB killers do not actully block the airflow directly, they just reduce the diameter of the air flow a little.

I think the pipe looks great, shows much more of the rear wheel.

#30 ·
sorry for the old thread resurrection. I have a question for ilmostro69, or Nomad. How are the SW motech bags holding up with the remus exhaust? Any heat issues long term?

the reason why I ask is, i just had to return home from my first planned trip with my bags because my shift tech exhaust was getting the bags too hot. The semi rigid plastic below the fabric was starting to deform. I was already having issues with my turn signal turning brown with the shift tech, but I kept using it, because i looks and sounds great. The shift tech provides much more clearance than stock, but the shift tech points the exhaust more upwards hitting the bag. I cant exactly tell from pictures if the remus points upwards less so than the shift tech. I either need to get a new slip on that is compatible with the bags (remus or other), or swap back to stock exhaust when I need to use my bags. I don't want to go back to stock exhaust because I already have a rapid bike and new air filter.

Anyone that doesn't have bags want a shift tech exhaust with about 800 miles on it, DB killer included?

#31 ·
Ilikebikes:

I haven't noticed any issues with the Remus exhaust burning the turn signals. I have the DP led ones that are smaller and never noticed any kind of heat damage. I recently got and R&G license plate holder and now they're slightly up from the OEM position so heat damage from the exhaust is not a concern for me.

Checking some pics on the web, the Shift Tech exhaust seems to point slighty upwards compared to the Remus or OEM exhaust and if it's already burning your turn signals it probably gets in the way of most saddlebags you might find.

So far I haven't noticed any heat issues with the bags either. As you can see on the pictures on other comments above, the SW Motech support bars hold the bags above but also outside of the exhaust tip, so it's harder to get them burnt like other bags that just hang freely and can swing in front of the exhaust if not tightly secured (it happened to me with Cortech bags, they're very well made but I wasn't thorough while securing them and they swinged towards the tire and got a big hole at the bottom)

#32 ·
thanks for the reply. I was worried about this issue when i ordered the bags, but couldn't find anyone with the combo. I took the chance, and was wrong. even though there is several inches between the muffler and the bags I can confirm that the bags will overheat and start to deform, after only 15 miles, with the shift tech exhaust. I am glad a checked after a few miles before I did any real damage to the bag. I would recommend both the bags and the exhaust separately, but not the combo. I am leaning towards a new exhaust now, because I could not find any other bag options I like. If you guys are saying the remus works well with the bags, I might just pick one up. Now just need to decide between titanium or black.

I have the DP turns as well. I use brake cleaner every couple of weeks and most of the brown wipes off, but it is finally starting to permanently discolor it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.