eBay Shorty Levers - Installed - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

eBay Shorty Levers - Installed

So I was undecided on whether or not shorty levers were for me or not, instead of dropping $200 on a set I thought I'd give the $20 set on eBay a shot. My initial impression of them was that the the quality seems decent, I do have a couple of issues/concerns with the design:
  1. The levers have a lot of up and down movement which you don't notice while using them. The movement is perpendicular to the movement of actuation, so it doesn't seem to affect the actual function. It just concerns me that there is that much play, I haven't taken them apart to see what the reasoning is for this. I don't particularly care for this and is one of the reasons I want to replace them. Are the CRG or other quality units like this?
  2. The second is the push rod assembly shown below isn't physically restrained with in the lever like the stock unit is. It seems like it should have a snap ring if it isn't going to be blocked from coming out like the factory lever does. It does seem pretty secure in there though, the well it sits in is deeper tan the cyclinder and the push rod boot also holds in place. Probably not an issue, but I don't really like it... Again are the other aftermarket "quality" levers designed like this?

Here are some pics of what is required to install them:

I tried briefly tapping the sleeve out, but realized that it was going to damage it and it needed to be pressed out. I don't have a press so I improvised with a socket, vise, and a fitting I had for my blow gun (I guess I could've used another small socket here too). One thing to note is that the sleeve is only press fit into the top hole, if you try to tap or press it out from the bottom up it will resist you the whole way. I got lucky on this and only had to press it just past the first part of the lever. When I reassembled it after to not lose the parts is when I realized this.

And here is the lack of anything retaining the push rod assembly:

So far I'm not a fan of the shorty brake lever, I like to grip the bar end with my pinky finger for stability and I can't do this with the shorty lever. I pretty much only have one hand position I can use. On the clutch side I like being able to use 2 fingers without crushing the other 2, but again I don't have as much flexability on where my hands are. I think I'm going back on the stock lever for the brake and keep the clutch for a week or 2 then decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I just took a look at my buddys bike with CRGs so I thought I would update. They definitely have less free play, but still do move up and down. The push rod assembly is free floating too, pic for reference:

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 PM

I ran levers like these on several bikes without issues. I've used these twice for instance...
Amazon Amazon

They were always good quality and yes, they had more play than any stock lever I've ever seen. I hate to say you get what yo pay for, but it sort of applies here. I would not hesitate to run them on the Monster however!

14' Monster 1200S
16' ZX-10R

DIY undertail covers... http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...il-covers.html

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Garage
I have the ones from mc motoparts on eBay and I really like them. The short brake lever is perfect for 2 finger braking; more than enough for the M50's to stop the bike. The clutch lever is the same length, so it's a little short, but I've gotten used to it. I move 3 fingers but only 2 are actually pulling the lever. No issues with fatigue even in traffic with such a light clutch. If I get spoiled I go ride the Harley to remind myself of what heavy clutch pull feels like.
n8ik likes this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
I have the ones from mc motoparts on eBay and I really like them. The short brake lever is perfect for 2 finger braking; more than enough for the M50's to stop the bike. The clutch lever is the same length, so it's a little short, but I've gotten used to it. I move 3 fingers but only 2 are actually pulling the lever. No issues with fatigue even in traffic with such a light clutch. If I get spoiled I go ride the Harley to remind myself of what heavy clutch pull feels like.
The amazon levers look really similar. Removed the brake lever, I like the feel of the stock lever much better. I still use two fingers, I just have more flexibility with my hand position. I'm leaving the clutch on for now to see if I can get used to it. I can't use two fingers on the stock lever without crushing the other two and I like the extra control of keeping two fingers on the bar. If I decide I like it I'll probably buy a name brand lever, but the price of these is perfect just for testing and seem okay if you wanted to stick with them.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Mik

Garage
I changed my factory brembo's for some upgraded RCS's. I hated the freeplay up and down that I had to change them. (slightly OCD) Though they are not the same as your lever swap surely there is a way to reduce the freeplay? Can you add shims to the pivot to tighten them up?
I also brake with 1 finger and clutch with 2 though the middle is doing the pulling, I have banged my knuckles from the lever squeeze.

M795.LSL X01 carbon wrapped bar,Scotts 796 bar clamps+Steering dampener,Brembo RCS Brake,Clutch levers,Ilmberger carbon fiber front,rear fenders,cam covers,monoposto,tank center,Custom red/black carbon tank skins,instrument cluster cover,oilcooler shroud,sprocket cover,14/41T Driven sprockets,Bazzaz Zfi,ExBox exhaust,Ducabike rear sets,Clear clutch cover,Pressure plate,spring retainer,slave cyl,AEM triple tree, STM adj forks,rear combi brake light and tail chopped.Thought I finished but no
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Thank you for posting this as I have been banging away with an assortment of tools to try to get the dang pin out of the stock lever. I put these (eBay specials) on my 796 and had no problem so I just installed a set on my 1200 today. Haven't rode with them yet or used them but I am sure the experience will be fine as it was on my 796.

BTW....was anyone else appalled at the ugliness of the stock levers on their Ducati? Ugh....they're hideous.
n8ik likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 10:12 AM
TRK

I have a set coming from MC Motoparts. I have never replaced levers on any of my bikes. Although it seems straight forward if there is any additional tips/advice anyone can share it would be much appreciated.
Here are a few questions:
Do I have to swap out the same pieces on the brake and the clutch lever or are they different?
Do you have to tighten the nut that secures the lever to a certain spec or just snug? And I assume no type of thread lock.
Do you have to swap out parts on the more expensive levers?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 AM

The swap is straight forward. You will use all the oem parts from the oem levers. The hardest part is getting the master cylinder actuator out of the stock lever. I couldn't open the lever far enough from the hinged base to slide it out. I ended up forcing it out though. I only had that issue with one side.

14' Monster 1200S
16' ZX-10R

DIY undertail covers... http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...il-covers.html
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 11:08 AM
TRK

OK thanks. Is there a tiny set screw holding that in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode