Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Ducati Monster with Panigale Clip ons

40K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  jcarlos.silva2005 
#1 ·
ever since i bought this bike i wanted to put clip ons on it. i knew it was gonna be uncomfortable but it was gonna look cool. afterall if i wanna be comfortable i'll just ride the harley ;)

the main issue on getting clip ons to fit the monster 1200S is that there are not many options due to the 57mm fork diameter. after measuring around the only other bike that has forks that big is the base 1199/1299. so that opened up clip on options. i ended up finding an opened but never installed Woodcraft 12-0157 Black Clipons set for base 899, 1199 and 1299 Panigale (57mm forks)

Since this woodcraft are 2 piece, you dont have to remove the forks to install them.

installation was a breeze. I just removed the headlight, removed the handlebar assemblies and installed the clip ons. then drilled the holes for the controls on the clip on bars and i was good to go!

Now the hard part is the headlight. since clearances are so tight I had to trim the headlight bracket to make room for the clip on assembly. I cut about 3mm in and about 7mm long. sanded it to gave it shape and make it look OEM then repainted the assembly . as you can see from the pics it looks like it came out of the factory like that! I used wrinkle black paint.

once the bracket was done, everything went back in nice an easy. there was some rerouting and wiggling cables around but nothing too hard.

and here is the final product:

See less See more
#11 ·
I went for a similar look with a different approach, new triple clamp and clip ons from performanceparts.de

http://www.performanceparts.de/en/D...e-clamp-Clip-ons-set-Ducati-Monster-1200.html

rides brilliantly, as you said the only issue is headlight clearance, I am running it without cutting the headlight, the bars are pulled back towards the rider, but it's still comfortable, and much more to my liking.

Rather than cut the headlight, I am considering running it lower, which would allow clearance and also tuck the display lower....just working on how...

#27 ·
the slim is amazing! this S model has the bigger engine so the extra ponies are welcome. im on my second softail so that should say a lot about my love for them. i like all types of bikes but i have a soft spot for harleys. you see harleys are bikes that are not about spec sheets or lap times. harleys always get a bad rep for being slow outdated and with no handling but what most people dont realize is that they are made like that from the beginning. a harley is made for cruising, for slowing down from this fast paced life. To understand harleys character you have to go back 50 years ago when people would actually take drives on cars with no main destination in mind. a harley still retains that purpose, it is made for riding in the USA's vast amount of straight line highway system not for tackling the canyons as fast as you can. its made for riding with your significant other on a sunday morning while you enjoy the scenery. if you dont like cruising you are never gonna like a harley. unfortunately the younger generations are all about specs and top speeds and lap times so they will never understand. i am not old im only 30 i swear lol

#31 ·
I have to admit it looks 100% better than I thought it would when I read the topic title.

When you ride is your gut and chest not making contact with the tank? It looks like you would be almost laying on top of it. Well I know I would with my short arms.

Good for you for trying something different

#34 ·
with my set up, the clip ons have about 30mm rise so while it's lower, it's not extreme, I guess similar to a sportbike riding position which I am used to, I'm short and i'm not resting on the tank, it's pretty comfortable.

I have ducabike rearsets as well so that moves your feet back a little and I went for up a little too, but they can be lower

#35 ·
To be honest I wasn't trying to take the piss, it was a serious question. There are so many bikes available in the Ducati line-up already set-up this way. Did you buy the Monster then decide the riding position wasn't right? Had you ridden one of the bikes from the sports line and wished it had the footpeg position like a Monster but the handlebar position was okey-dokey?

But **** it, I don't really care anymore.

#37 ·
Who the *&*# cares what people think man? It's your bike. Do what you want to it! Everyone ranting about why he did clip-ons is either jealous of the fact he did it, or has too much free time on their hands, and probably needs a girlfriend or something.

I think it looks killer, and have contemplated doing it myself.

As to why not just buy a Ducati that already has clip ons....why? None of them look like the Monster at all. This is now a unique looking bike, compared to every other 899, 1198, or 1299 I see out there, which all look the EXACT same.

Good on ya mate!

#41 ·
This is one of the best threads on the forum, I love clip ons and also this lively discussion. Don't flame me but I actually now have have bar risers... why? With low bars my helmet would hit the back of my neck and speed hump- couldn't see forward very well. That's why I got a Monster instead of a Pani.

#43 ·
Very interesting but it does seem to be quite a reach (in my opinion), but then we don't know if your GF is 4"8' or 6' 2", and obviously that would make a difference.

It definitely looks the part for a bike that would be ridden on high speed twisties though.
Personally I can't see it working for me as I would have a tank bag for overnighters but I'm sure you've already decided for yourself if you are satisfied with that set-up.

I must admit that it is a very nice bike though and you must be having a blast with it.

#51 ·
Hello! I have exactly the same question. Öhlins fork tubes of a Monster are 57mm outer diameter only on top of a tube in lenght of 53mm. I cannot see how to fit the 57mm diameter clip ons below the tripple clamps so that it’s safe. Tapered area below the tripple clamp is ~55,5mm in fork tube outer diameter. Has anyone else done this conversion and what diameter clip ons were used? Tnx!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.