Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Rapid bike???

51K views 99 replies 26 participants last post by  BHazel 
#1 ·
So I've waited to install one of these to see if there was any issues that were being had and now I'm wondering if there are positive or negative reviews? If you guys have installed this product please home in with opinions. I only have a Kand N air filter and a slip on exhaust but I would love to see if this product is worth the risk?

#3 ·
I know Guido has been busy with that team racing MotoAmerica with an R1 so he's probably a little back logged.

I plan on getting a RapidBike from him eventually but haven't yet. I'm sure when I do, if I have any problem, he'll get it worked out.

I know he just put one on his daughter's Scrambler so I don't think he's lost his enthusiasm for it.

#4 ·
I have one on my Monster. It really works great. I was getting a CEL but it never effected the bike. It would stay on for a few seconds and shut off. If you didn't catch it you wouldn't even know it happened.

I did contact Rapid Bike through an email. They responded right away. I was told to reset it and start over. It is very easy to do with a laptop. Unfortunately since I did it, the weather has been raining. I plan on putting some miles on it soon too see how the update worked.

I haven't put it on a dyno to see the improvements and honestly I never will. But you can feel the improvements immediately and see the difference in the speedo. It's so much quicker.

#6 ·
First off I want to say that Rapid bike customer service is quick to respond and is working to to fix the issue. I sent an email at 10:30 pm to them saying the reset didn't work. I had a response when I woke up in the morning with two new map settings to try. They believe a sensor is not cooperating and want me to try the new setting and go from there.

So when I get home today I will flash the first one and see how it goes. If the first map doesn't work then I have to try the second map. They want my feedback asap and are working to solve the issue. I can't complain, it only takes a minute to do the map plus my bike runs great regardless of the light coming on.

#7 ·
Please let me know if you find the solution! I bought a Rapidbike EVO for my Monster 1200s and I have the same type of problem ( check engine light that goes away after a few seconds at an rpm of 2000 to 3300 ). The service from them is very good and I have been told they are working on it.

#10 ·
I have one installed on my 2014 1200s. Throttle response is a lot quicker. More so than I anticipated. When pulling out of my garage I do a 3 point turn. If I havent ridden the bike in a few days and I was riding my other bikes I get surprised by the throttle response. On 2 occasions I gave it a tad bid more gas than I should have and the bike jumped forward fast and wanted to raise the front wheel while doing the 3 point turn LOL. The dealer took it in for some warranty issues for other things and said the mechanics were like holy sh&t this bike is responsive. I told the service tech about it and to warn the guys test riding it. Im actually glad they got scared. This dealer is screwing me on some warranty issues which I wrote about in another post.

#12 ·
Installed the rapid bike evo on my 1200s......performance change is above and beyond anything i ever expected, but yes the check engine light comes on at low speeds.......but the way the bike has smoothed out at low rpms and pulls out of low rpms it is a small price to pay.

I have done the correspondance with rapid bike usa and they sent me different maps and such but i did not upload them to my bike because i know i had a k& n high flow filter coming.....funny thing is that, after i installed the air filter i rode for about a 100km and the check engine light never came on.....and yes of course i was looking for it!.....then im not sure if the module self corrected and made changes to the mapping to agian trigger the check engine light..?

Either way......with the rapid bike evo, termi slip ons, and the k&n air filter.....the bikes performance has changed in ways i can not explain.......the gearing and power is amazing ! I can do the mountain twisties with out ever changing a gear unless there is traffic.....

#13 ·
I tried a couple of the new maps they sent me and found them to lack in power compared to the original map. It was almost like it wasn't working. Plus the light was still coming on around 3k RPM. Went right back home switched it back to the stock map and the bike rips off the line again. I'll deal with the light and enjoy the tremendous power the rapid bike is giving my monster.

Rapid bike was quick to respond with new maps but they still haven't figured out the low RPM CEL.

#17 ·
My friend if you have the money just do it. Its not about what gear you are in and if there is more power between certain rpms.......i just cant explain it.....but yes the 4th gear response is greatly improved but dont forget our peak tourque is in the 7000rpm range. The one thing i noticed is that i do not really have to change gears anymore.....i can do the mountain roads and 3rd or 4th gear and is more than stong enough in its rpm range that down shifting or upshifting is no longer needed! I hope that helps

#28 ·
So I just got the Rapid Bike installed and I can't say enough good things about the changes that it's made. It's the same bike I love just smoother and more responsive. I installed the Comp Werkes exhaust and KandN filter and Guido set the module to those parameters before sending unit to me. No codes so far or weird operations. Just like it's been stated bike has plenty of power with a wider RPM range in 3-4 gears. It's like 5-6 are for high speed freeway or track??? I personally feel like the throttle response you get is worth the money. I would love to hear if anyone else noticed that the bike seems to run COOLER? Only rode a few times so it could be me but -- still a great product!

#30 · (Edited)
What is this "presetting" the unit and loading other maps all about? I thought it constantly adjusted itself, and could compensate for any intake or exhaust changes you might make, therefore there was no need for a "preset" or whatever.

Is it not this do all and be all product that they claim it is? Apparently it has limitations?

#31 ·
It starts with a base map. Then adjusts from there. The unit can be used for almost any bike out there so it needs a base setting for that particular bike. The initial settings had too much fueling in low RPM's which caused the check engine light. It by no means effected the performance, just had a CEL that would occasionally pop. Rapid bike made a couple small changes to rectify the problem.

#33 ·
So I went on my second ride with Rapid Bike and after I started riding out of driveway I noticed it threw a check engine light:confused:. It then didn't come on for another hour or so but intermittent throughout the ride even at higher RPM it would through a CEL but only for like 15 seconds. It didn't seem to change anything as far as the bike performance but I want to know why it's happening? If it's a small glitch that won't damage engine then I can live with it. But if it's a software problem then of course this is not a good start. I will call Rapid Bike to see what they say but it seems this should have been corrected by now:angry:

#38 ·
Dave1200s,
The "new map" that works well on your 1200S may not work on my 1200.
Your approach has been to change maps to eliminate the CEL glitch.

Sonic Duck,
Your advice is to give it enough time and it will sort itself out. Is this your understanding of how the unit works, or do you own one and this is how it worked for you?

#39 ·
That's exactly right. And it worked. Then the unit self adjusts and works great. Your altitude may very from mine or you have different mods than me. That's why they sent me five maps to try out. It's just minor adjustments in the fueling if you compare the maps. And like I said mine is sorted out now so I'm definitely happy with the unit and rapid bike's customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.