Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

LED headlight swap on my 1200s

35K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  eljefespeaks 
#1 ·
So after looking around on this forum I noticed that a number of people have either considered and/or have gone with a headlight bulb replacement. I didn't want to get too extreme and replace the whole headlight but I did think an upgrade to the bulb brightness and color was much needed! I ruled out the HID conversion simply because I don't like how that looks but the LED approach was intriguing.

Finally ordered an LED replacement bulb from eBay (was cautiously optimistic) and installed last night. The install itself was pretty easy, I didn't take pictures of the process but do have the finished product. After removing the two 10mm nuts on the backside the whole headlight assembly slides up. While there are two other harnesses that are plugged into the housing, I found it easy to work without unplugging anything (didn't feel comfortable unplugging the LCD display). New headlight was PNP and there's enough room in the housing to hide the wire and slim ballast that the new headlight came with.

Rode around a couple hours today in the Denver summer sun and all seems to be working perfectly :) The color is a blue/light purple but is significantly brighter than the stock bulb. I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing!

Hope someone gets some use out of this experience!

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive fog light

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
mirrors

Could you tell me, what mirrors do you have? Are they good?
best regards
So after looking around on this forum I noticed that a number of people have either considered and/or have gone with a headlight bulb replacement. I didn't want to get too extreme and replace the whole headlight but I did think an upgrade to the bulb brightness and color was much needed! I ruled out the HID conversion simply because I don't like how that looks but the LED approach was intriguing.

Finally ordered an LED replacement bulb from eBay (was cautiously optimistic) and installed last night. The install itself was pretty easy, I didn't take pictures of the process but do have the finished product. After removing the two 10mm nuts on the backside the whole headlight assembly slides up. While there are two other harnesses that are plugged into the housing, I found it easy to work without unplugging anything (didn't feel comfortable unplugging the LCD display). New headlight was PNP and there's enough room in the housing to hide the wire and slim ballast that the new headlight came with.

Rode around a couple hours today in the Denver summer sun and all seems to be working perfectly :) The color is a blue/light purple but is significantly brighter than the stock bulb. I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing!

Hope someone gets some use out of this experience!

View attachment 171633 View attachment 171641

#14 ·
As I understand it, with the LED bulb in you can see the headlight now from space! :p Seriously, though great mod; I used a similar bulb in my Sportster but it has a little fan on it inside the heat sink. I'm concerned about the life of the fan but so far so good. I would prefer to get the fanless version for this bike for the smaller form factor at the very least.

#19 ·
I installed mine tonight. Huge difference in how much light is projected out of the bulb now. However I couldnt fit the cover that plastic back cover on the back of the bulb because of the the little amp and the fan. Did you have the same issue? Were you able to put the back cover on the bulb or did you leave it uncovered. i also left it uncovered so that there would be no heat build up. Can you let me know if you put the cover back on or left it like I did. i also didnt try to push anything inside so that nothing rattled. I taped up the where I plugged it in and zip tied all loose ends so nothing rattled. I am a bit concerned about that back cover in case I get caught in the rain. Any info on how you installed it and how you managed to hide everything would help.

#20 ·
I installed a different brand LED headlight bulb (OPT7 Fluxbeam). It was very tight, but only for the harness connector. The driver fits between the lens and inside-housing. The harness connector had to be wiggled in towards the top of the lens/housing. With everything tucked in, it all cleared the housing cap. Nothing to modify other than my patience and frustration. I nearly gave up but gently working all combinations of fitment, I finally got it. At first glance and first placement into the housing I was sure that it would not fit, but it eventually did.

#22 ·
The H4 found HERE.

They have it in a single and dual pack.

The bulb has the turbofan. Attached to the turbo fan is a cable that connects to the driver (small flat rectangle metal case). The driver has a cable that connects to the OEM harness. You can kind of make it out in the image of the light in the water glass.

Attachments

#33 ·
I purchased an LED H4 headlight last week and installed it on my Monster. It took 10 minutes to install and worth the money (although it is slightly pricey).
Picked it up at GP Motorcycles in San Diego. Pic 31 is the stock bulb and pic 36 is the LED. The color is perfect and so much brighter.
Pic 41 is the LED from the front of the bike. No fan sticking out the back and it is complete plug and play.

Attachments

#34 ·
i have also installed the opt7 bulb in my monster, maybe the tiniest bit of scatter on the far sides of the beam, but other than that I'm more than happy with it. there is a bit of mucking around fitting it all in the housing but it does definitely fit, I think I may have installed the bulb then the controller

#35 ·
Thanks a bunch for the information.

I have ordered a set of chinese Leds, which I hope will match the front forks nicely.

(I know it is a tiny tiny thing with the golden colored bulb, but I hope it will turn out good + provide better lighting on the bike)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gold...Auto-Headlamp-40W-4000LM-Low/32672306554.html

will post a couple of pictures and inputs on if it is working as expected, after I install it.

#37 ·
This thread inspired me to replace buy the opt 7 bulb. I have had bad experience with LED headlights in the past (blinding other drivers). I took the chance after reading the recommendations here. Here is my review after a couple of weeks and few hundred miles.

After dark Brightness
10 - Wow, just wow. The difference it amazing and pictures don't even do it full justice.

Daytime glow (be seen)
10 - this might be secretly the most impressive part. it glows very brightly in bright sunlight. I feel like drivers are seeing me better

Beam Pattern
7 - As Mav mentions above there is a little scatter on the outside edge of the beam, but it projects out ~60 degrees from beam center so it is not projected at oncoming traffic. More to the side. I have not had a single driver flash their highs at me. very wide been in this housing.

Install ease
8 - easy install, but takes little bit of wiggling to fit the controller in. I put the controller in first and bulb in last. (25 minutes start to finish, and that is with a toddler asking "whats that" every 5 seconds)

Heat
? - this was a concern of mine, but so far no issues. 3 hour ride in the low 90's last week with no issues

light color
8 - way better than stock and better than the PIAA bulb I had. Just a hair on the purple side, if it lost a few K's it would be perfect

Bulb quality (initial)
9 - feels sturdy with a nice red finished aluminum housing, no signs of defects, and no rattles. we will have to see how it hold up in the long run

Bottom line: great $50 purchase. I feel more confident that I am being seen by others. I don't seem to be blinding anyone. the best part is how much safer I feel on my ride to work in the morning before the sun comes up, through the middle of a densely wooded state with an out of control un-huntable deer population. The bulb buys me quite a bit of reaction time. I love it. You should buy it!

#39 ·
I have the Opt7 installed and I just had a 495 km ride over the weekend, the air temperature was around 32c. I haven't noticed any issues with the heat. To be honest, I doubt the fan is actually doing anything to lower the temperature, because the whole setup is in a sealed housing.

:nerd

#40 ·
Bringing this thread back up....

How are you all making out with these LED's... been about a year since the last post... any heating, electrical, high/low beam issues?

Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.