Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2009 monster 1100

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hawk1953 
#1 ·
Hey guys ! I am buying a 2009 Monster 1100 tomorrow. Any things to look for during inspection. Any problems with this model? Bike has 4,000 miles on it.
Thanks

#3 ·
The Monster 1100 are famous to be hard to start. I had to install motoeletric Hicap starter kit and a lithium battery to fix that on mine.

Belt change are recommend every 2 years but in practice can last up to 4 years in your situation (<24.000kms).

I've got 45.000kms on mine and haven't had any issues with it. It hasn't left me stranded on the side of the road yet.
Great bike but not forgiving, no slipper clutch and the only electronic aid is the low fuel light.

#4 · (Edited)
1. Issues with launching when the dry clutch grinds. Easy to fix using the white lithium grease trick.

2. Hard start.

I have the hard start issue. To work around it, I cycle the fuel pump 3 to 5 times prior to actually attempting to start. This is with the upgraded starter wires and a new battery, that is kept on a ctek charger.

3. Leaking clutch slave. Inexpensive to upgrade to an Oberon unit. I performed this when I noticed a gradual loss of clutch fluid, and some black sludge on the left side of the engine case.

Those are probably the top 3.

4. Tank swelling and deformation.

I haven't had this yet.

#5 ·
Good point regarding the leaking clutch slave cylinder. I replaced mine with a Oberon for the ease of pull but it should be noted that Ducati have superseded the slave cylinder and pushrod from 2012.
The new pushrod has a pin to prevent it from spinning/heating and causing a fluid leakage.
If you upgrade your slave cylinder make sure it is of the new design with a recess to lock the pin.

#6 ·
Her User24, I completely agree with cycling the fuel pump. I have the Motoelectric HICAP starter circuit upgrade on my 2013 1100 EVO, but find it best to give an additional prime before starting (2-3 seconds pressing the starters with the kill switch on)
Would be interesting for the OP to see if the bike he's looking at has a starter circuit upgrade already.

#7 ·
Did you buy the bike? Great bike, a joy to ride. I have two both 2009 models. There is a chance some gasket or seal somewhere from the engine might leak because of low miles. I bought my 2009 1100 with 1,200 miles on it in 2012 and had a head gasket start leaking about 8 months later. Had it done at Ducati, they confirmed my suspicions, dried out from lack of use. Replaced both gaskets while it was open and never had another problem with it again.

I bought my 2009 1100S last September with around 2000 miles. I've put about 500 on it and I see oil leaking from the left side cover from a screw hole right below the trellis. So this bike is going to Ducati when I get home next week.

So needless to say, in my experience I'd expect something somewhere to be dried out from the lack of regular use and start leaking at some point.

This is a machine to be driven and not to be stored. This sounds counter intuitive but the harder I ride this bike the better it runs. :)

#8 ·
09 1100

Yes, I bought the bike a month ago. Changed the belts, checked valve clearances put my Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil in it and did a complete maintenance with new Bridge S21's. I've put a thousand miles on it with no leaks or problems. Previous owner took good care of this bike. Put termies on with a REXX remap. I can do faster laps on a tight track on it than I can on my Kaw ZX10R. Thanks to everyone for the purchase info. I love this bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.