Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Pepper-Spraying Texas Cop Update

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Duc96cr 
#1 ·

A firestorm erupted last March when a video surfaced that showed a Texas police officer pepper spraying a group of motorcyclists riding past his patrol car. Motorcyclists who watched the video (now with more than three million views) were angered at the apparent assault on riders. The cop, William Figueroa, claimed he needed to spray the riders because they wouldn’t vacate the lane next to his patrol car that was pulled over at the side of the road.

Surely the overly aggressive cop would be severely reprimanded for his actions that could’ve hurt or even killed riders as they rode past, right? Well, thanks to our favorite moto-riding attorney, John Butrus, we were able to dig into the situation. Sadly, the outcome of the investigation seems to be far too lenient for an officer who demonstrated a complete lack of concern for the safety of our fellow riders.
Read more about the Pepper-Spraying Texas Cop Update at Motorcycle.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
That guy should be in jail, at best.

PhilB

#3 ·
Cops shoot people in the back every day for no reason and get away with it, so I'm not at all surprised, especially in Texas. They're lucky he didn't spray them with his riot gun. I'm sure he didn't violate departmental policy, so what's the big deal ? He " feared for his life and was just doing his job " I'm sure.

#4 ·
I don't understand why cops like that act the way they do. Senseless enforcement. Is he jealous that others are enjoying their life while he works a hot summer day? Overall "that guy" is an asshole, can't say that for every law enforcement officer; I can't generalize because there are more good cops than bad cops. I can only imagine all the other illicit **** he's doing while on the job or off duty. I guess he didn't suspect a rider to have a high quality video running. Shame on him and the department that supports him and his nefarious activities.

#5 ·
... Overall "that guy" is an asshole, can't say that for every law enforcement officer; I can't generalize because there are more good cops than bad cops. ...
Individually, I'm sure you're right. But where the generalization comes in is that all those good cops aren't doing a very good job of holding the bad cops responsible, of getting them out of the ranks. When they get a lot better about visiting some real consequences on the ones who harm or endanger people without enough justification, *then* I'll be a lot more willing to consider the problem to be "a few bad apples", and not the whole damn system.

PhilB

#7 ·
It's dripping in sarcasm and frustration at the current police situations around the country.

#8 ·
Perfect comparison with Black Lives Matter.
Bad cops give good cops a bad name, but when the system doesn't punish the bad cops it's easy for the next bad cop to push a little further. Pretty soon you have the entire judicial system on it's heels because now everyone is screaming "BLACK LIVES MATTER", or "BLUE LIVES MATTER".
I have friends that are police officers, and they know I ride but they don't mind telling me that they run into more a$$holes on bikes than anything and when they pull one over they are not going to take any crap from them.

#9 ·
No such thing as a good cop unless it's an ex cop. As long as "just doing your job" entails harassing the homeless, kidnapping and caging harmless hippies at gunpoint for possession of a plant or hungry people for shoplifting a can of beans, enforcing Jim Crow laws at one point, NOT arresting the criminal cops who violate the law and their own code of conduct (refusing to cross the "thin blue line") then your job is BS and you suck for choosing to be a part of it. The pos in this video should be in prison for multiple counts of attempted murder. The fact that he isn't, and is still wearing that badge and uniform and I STILL gotta hear mother F'ers defend and excuse their actions constantly makes me sick.

And don't even give me that nonsense about "how I better not call em when I need help!" because I'd NEVER in a zillion years call a bunch of gang member thugs in blue costumes who will arrive way too late to be of any use at best, and shoot my dog at worst.

F the police and F their enablers and apologists even more.

#10 ·
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... and that's all it is an OPINION. Nothing factual. All opinions will differ because we are all different people having different cultures, backgrounds, training, etc. We are all exposed to different situations all having similar and DIFFERENT results. To generalize and say that ALL cops are bad is just wrong. To generalize and say all cops are good is just as wrong/bad because it's not true. I was commenting on that ONE situation where the cop stood out of his car and sprayed the chemical. In my opinion he's wrong and the system the supports him is wrong. is it a perfect system? NO! It never was. is that cop a righteous justified dude in doing so? If he was my friend.... I'd break ties with him completely. That's just my opinion.

Overall it's a difficult situation.... cops vs the general public. When cops get the guy that robs your house he's a great guy! when that same cop writes you a speeding ticket he's an a$$hole? Does that make sense? Overall, I believe there's general consesnus that in our civilized society we need some sort of "law enforcement" to maintain order. We're not a bunch of animals living in the wild whereby the laws of nature prevail. Every civilized society has some sort of law enforcement system to maintain "order". can we really POLICE ourselves? It's a necessary evil. I believe there are more good police officers than bad police officers overall by a large majority, again it's not a perfect system. Just the other day I was abruptly cut off by a black dude.... he turned left directly in front of me..... does that make all black guys BAD? No. That one guy is the a$$hole. I can't generalize and place everyone in the same category. That wouldn't be fair. The same goes for cops. I'm 44 now, when I was young I hated cops because I was an IDIOT! I didn't follow the vehicle traffic law.... I was in and out of traffic court on a regular basis- I paid just under $10K in fines since having a license. Do I hate cops? When I was young I did because I didn't understand what was going on. Now that I'm married with kids, I've matured in the 25 years and learned to understand the different situations.

From the local police to the IRS, Immigration, SEC, postal police, commerce regulators, to the basic security guard, etc.... without them there would total chaos. Has anyone visited Mogadishu, San Salvador, Caracas, San Pedro, Gautemala, Baltimore, Chicago?

Again not all bus drivers are perfect citizens. Not even police officers or presidential candidates. No one is perfect

#12 ·
I agree with OND actually, and regret even posting. This is a loaded topic and nobody is going to change their mind based on a strangers rant. My own views have been shaped by watching friends get manhandled and treated completely differently than myself based on their skin color, and the social inequities kops are in charge of maintaining. If you aren't from the 'hood, are a born follower who's never questioned authority in his/her life and are white you'll have a fixed "opinion" based on your narrow worldview.

Now that I've had the last word feel free to lock the topic. ;)

#14 ·
I was being sarcastic, for those who didn't get it. My wife worked for the PD for 30 years. That doesn't make me an expert, but maybe more familiar with cops than most of you. They all have an extreme " Cops against the World " attitude. All the rest of us are just potential law breakers in their eyes. Most cops I've met should not be allowed to carry. They have placed themselves above the law. Accept it , make excuses for it, until you are the target. Any one of color reading this knows what I mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.