Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Knock off Oberon "Streetfighter" mirrors mini review

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  rcmcfly 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: I am a lover of Oberon products. Their quality is second to none and they are for the most part a very good value for the price. I own their 28mm clutch slave (love) fuel cap (love) bi-directional turn signals (like). I plan on purchasing an authentic streetfighter mirror in the near future. These counterfeits were freakin $14! on Amazon PRIME! I had to bite.

First and only time I ever purchased authentic name brand mirrors I got burned, bad. Paid an outrageous $100 (that was a discounted price) each for Driven D-Axis mirrors. Complete and total junk for that kind of loot. They're even made in China, and were worse quality than...anyway I need to stop ranting and proceed with the review. I have always loved experimenting with these CN copycats and am quite often very pleased...

$14 and 2 days later I received this:

A nice, thick padded envelope. Inside was this:

A nice, sturdy box which contained this:

A pair of mirrors with 2 different sized expansion collets to fit both narrow I.D aluminum 22mm bars or wider steel bars.

Closer examination revealed the fact that the material is indeed billet 6000 series alloy, the machining tolerances are surprisingly tight, and the machine marks are suggest high quality tooling was used to produce these parts.

Both the large and small set screws are stainless, not plated as many China mirrors come equipped.

The mirror glass is excellent however the one flaw China mirrors always has are rough edges, which drastically effect the perception of quality and the "classiness". These are no exception. Ni Hao HuaHua, I'd gladly pay the extra dollar or 2 in Chinese labor for more attention spent here! The collets are pretty unimpressive as well, I always scrap these and use rubber expansion collets + serrated washers anyway. I'm interested in seeing how the genuine Oberon brass collets compare.

Getting them situated and dialed in on the bike was tedious, but I can't see how that has anything to do with them being cheap, just the nature of this type of mirror. Possibilities are endless but no on the fly adjustments are possible. They seem extremely sturdy and on a couple short rides stayed put and didn't budge. I really dig on the beefy bar-end part of them as well.

I'll update this review after I've spent more time with them, and compare them closely to the genuine Oberon part. My thoughts as of now are that they look and function great on my bike, and visibility is as good if not better than any other bar end mirror I've tried...which is to say...it is what it is, form over function. But having 2 def helps keep on eye on your backside.

At this point I feel very comfortable recommending them. A few little flaws in craftsmanship but overall a quality product worth way more than $14.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have them in red on my 796. Way cleaner than the dumbo ears and gets the glass outside of my arms/shoulders so I can seen behind me. 2 years now for about $20; I'm good with that!

#6 ·
Sure, here ya go:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0057V3V9O/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1454532433&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Bar+end+mirror+motorcycle&dpPl=1&dpID=41sJoiShKVL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

I'd been meaning to post an update...1000+ miles and still look and function beautifully! The convex glass does a fantastic job, not only the best looking but also the best functioning mirrors I've ever used.

#9 ·
They come with 2 diff sized aluminum expansion colllets...as long as you have hollow bars you should be good, but in my case and according to the reviews this is common; you could run into a problem if you have aftermarket alloy clip ons which have an inside diameter too narrow for either set of the collets. I prefer the rubber type of expansion collet anyway, but since I didn't have any I made my own with a short length of rubber fuel hose and the 6mm screw/serrated nut/washers the mirrors come with. Sounds cheesy but it works perfectly, once the screws are tightened down they are immovable.

#11 ·
If you don't have threaded bar ends, you're good. I'm stuck in the past when it comes to my motorcycles, don't like anything newer than 20 years lol. I know some newer Triumphs have solid bars with threaded ends and these mirrors won't work with them...not sure about the newer Ducs. You're probably fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.