Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

New headlight!!!!! Omg <3

18K views 62 replies 15 participants last post by  Heath 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
Oh, how I wish there was an option like this for the 09-14 Monsters.

#7 ·
Interesting read.

tt

The limiting factors with LED headlamps presently include high system expense, regulatory delays and uncertainty, and logistical issues created by LED operating characteristics. As a semiconductor, the performance of an LED is dependent on its temperature; a given diode will produce more light at a low temperature than at a high temperature. Thus, in order to maintain a constant light output, the temperature of an LED headlamp must be kept relatively stable. LEDs are commonly considered to be low-heat devices due to the public's familiarity with small, low-output LEDs used for electronic control panels and other applications requiring only small amounts of light; however, LEDs actually produce a significant amount of heat per unit of light output. Rather than being emitted together with the light as is the case with conventional light sources, an LED's heat is produced at the rear of the emitters. Unlike incandescent and HID bulbs, LEDs are damaged by high temperatures; prolonged operation above the maximum junction temperature will permanently degrade the LEDs and ultimately shorten the device's life. The need to keep LED junction temperatures low at high power levels requires thermal management measures such as heatsinks or cooling fans which are typically quite expensive.[90]

Additional facets of the thermal issues with LED headlamps reveal themselves in cold ambient temperatures. Not only can excessively low temperatures lead to the LED's light output increasing beyond the regulated maximum, but heat must in addition be effectively applied to thaw snow and ice from the front lenses, which are not heated by the comparatively small amount of infrared radiation emitted forward with the light from LEDs.[91]

LEDs are increasingly being adopted for signal functions such as parking lamps, brake lamps and turn signals as well as daytime running lamps, as in those applications they offer significant advantages over filament bulbs with fewer engineering challenges than headlamps pose.

#12 ·
This is on order-
http://motodemic.com/shop/led-headlight-for-ducati-monster-sportclassic/

It was tough deciding, but went with black

This is a DIRECT drop in to our bucket!! How perfect!! I am soooo stoked!!! I cannot wait!!!!

Don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but I'm fairly certain this is just a knock off JW Speaker/"Daymaker" unit with a custom adapter ring. The knock offs run around $100. Which makes that a very pricey ring of billet....

If "Motodemic" confirms that this is either a JW Speaker light or one of equivalent quality, I'll eat my words of course. Otherwise I'd recommend those of you interested in this light see about purchasing the adapter separately if it's priced reasonably and getting the knock off on their own (aliexpress) or buying the Motowheels adapter (not as pretty, I love how the "Motodemic" ring is tapered) plus a Truck-Lite.

#17 ·
And because I can't just meekly go away and lick my wounds/digest all that swallowed pride; :p

Might be a good idea to either relocate your R/R to a "windier" location or upgrade to a MOSFET if doing this upgrade, especially if you have the R/R under the seat. LED's draw much less current which = a harder working, hotter R/R.

#23 ·
Very nice that looks similar to my TL with the addition of the built in signals. An alternative to the MW adapter ring is a standard 7" aftermarket bucket, but you probably wouldn't save much and nothing comes close to the stock bucket in looks afaic.

I'll post up details of my setup for those considering this upgrade;

Truck-Lite 27270C with Motowheels ring and a carbon bucket:

Biggest gripes are the weight, an absurd 2 lbs and that it protrudes from the bucket about 3/8". I quickly got used to that and as fussy as I am over the little details it still doesn't bother me.....much.
I love how Motodemic designed their adapter collar with a beveled edge to address that. Cost comparison: $250 vs $399. The quality of the TL is first rate, love the output, beam pattern and white/daylight color of the LED's. Doubt the JWS can really exceed the TL but we'll assume they match up evenly, so the deciding factors for those considering this mod are aesthetics and $$$.

#24 ·
From these little teaser pictures, That bike is looking like a really gorgeous build.

#27 ·
That bike looks awesome, love the aluminum SBK IMA too.

#28 ·
Appreciate the compliments so much. The 2nd pic from the top is a mistake, I'd lost one of my exhaust end caps on the freeway and didn't notice until I took this photo, woops. Was very lucky the eBay seller Valtermotousa had another, they are NOS MH900 caps that my machinist friend turned down.

#35 ·
Not yet...I'm lightless at the moment and wanna cry :( lol. Hopefully this week, the black on black was on back order. As for it being better?? I just hope it's 90% as good, the Truck-Lite I sold you is hands down the best vehicular lighting experience I've ever had in my life...the JWS has a LOT to live up to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.