»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chain

Any suggestions on cleaning and lubricating the chain on an Evo 110, any special products that can be used? Thanks.
gmaneod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Everyone has their favourite products so there is no definitive answer, just do it regularly - every second tank of fuel is about right unless you ride a lot in shitty conditions, rain, dirt roads etc. Heres what i do and my chains last. Go for a ride so the chain is nice and warm. Put the bike on a rear stand so you can spin the wheel. Spray WD40 onto a clean bit if rag and wipe the chain on the outside, while rotating the wheel until all the old cruddy goo is off - the rear sprocket area is a good place to do this. You'll need to spray and use a clean bit of the rag a few times. Then do the inside of the chain the same way. DON'T spray the WD directly on the chain and spray away from the bike as you don't want it getting on your brake rotors, plus the carrier in the WD may get into the chain o rings and leach out all the good lube in there. Once the chain is clean spray a good lubricant onto the inside (ie sprocket contact side) of the chain while you rotate the wheel until it is evenly coated but not dripping off. Leave overnight to dry before riding. I like Belray as it doesn't spray off all over my shiny bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Chains

Go for ride (5 miles min) Put bike on stand if applicable. WD-40 on a rag to wipe off chain... don't spray the chain. I like "Chain Wax" hold rag up to chain and spray the Chain wax on the chain-rotate and repeat until chain is covered. Get clean rag and rotate entire chain through it... may take several rags and rotations to get excess off chain. Remember you're only cleaning and lubing the outside if its an O Ring / X Ring chain. If you have a non O Ring chain the procedure is as follows from years of riding a Harley.
1.) Remove chain from bike (Buy new master link before starting task)
2.) Clean chain in solvent and wipe off until rags are clean when done wiping.
3.) Chain goes in tray (I still use a coffe can) with favorite brand of lube. I've used everything from 90-140 hypoid to Bearing grease.
4.) Seal can (Tin Foil) and place can in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
5.) Remove chain from can (It's gonna be hot) and wipe off excess lube.
6.) Re-install and check tension. (Always use new master link!)

Merry Christmas form Beez & Santa's little helper. 8)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008664-full.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	105107  
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Chain

Guys thanks for the tips when I bought the bike it had a white grease on it, any ideas on how to replace that? I like the grease as it tends not fly off when riding, thanks again. And is it hard and fast as to every other tank of fuel I live on a tropical island and never ride in the rain. How many miles do you think that I can get out of a chain, and is like dirt bikes when you change the chain you change the sprockets as a set, I am liking the RED chains that I see.
Luckily I have HD with the belt.
G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05282.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	105113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05281.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	105114  
gmaneod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Belray is white, comes in a spray can and doesn't fly off. Also you can see where you sprayed it because of the white.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

I mostly use just WD40 to clean my chain ( and wheels ) when I wash my bike I put some plastic on the ground underneath where the chain is and have a rag and a tooth brush and spray liberally give it a bit of a scrub and wipe off the excess and rotate until all the way around this sound time consuming but its not for the the result I also use the WD40 to pre clean all the crap off my rims and it works a treat then I give the whole lot a good soapy wash with a good car wash ( I use Maquires or Mothers ) and yes even the chain after a rinse off and a polish when it all dry take it for a ride and it will be lubed ( rollers are not shiny but a nice gray colour ) and will not contain any abrasive debris when i get home I give it a light spray and its good to go, if this is done on a regular basis this will keep you chain running and looking sweet for a long time I have done it like this for about 20 years over quite a few road & dirt bikes with a good spray of chain lube on my dirt bikes before a ride , noting that if i have a longer than expected period between doing this due to time constraints I use on 2 - 3 very small sprays of a good chain lube ( it needs only a small amount, it will spread -seriously not much at all is needed ,other wise it will end up everywhere )
Hope this helps.
Cheers Buck
buck972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement