Exhaust midpipe valve mod - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exhaust midpipe valve mod

I've had some problems with the exhaust valve stepper motor on my 2012 Monster 796 (USA). It fails to operate and triggers the Check Engine Light with an error code (EXVL). The dealership has been working on it as a warranty fix and Ducati North America is definitely making it right, but the whole situation has left a bad taste in my mouth.

The dealership owner is a former Ducati racer and told me that the ECU can be reprogrammed to ignore the servo motor altogether so it can be removed. I like that idea because it's one less system that could break and it removes a couple of pounds of weight. But it would leave me with the actual butterfly valve and spring assembly still in/on the pipe. That's not clean... I like clean.

Does anyone know where I could get a European/Asian spec midpipe without the exhaust valve assembly?

Vance & Hines | Rizoma | XCentrik Performance | MotoDynamic | Evotech | Motovation | Rhinomoto | Puig
MeatPopsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Won't a midpipe off the Monster 696 fit? It has no flapper.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...96-1100-a.html

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamBrian View Post
Won't a midpipe off the Monster 696 fit? It has no flapper.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...96-1100-a.html
That would be perfect! Thanks for the info.

Vance & Hines | Rizoma | XCentrik Performance | MotoDynamic | Evotech | Motovation | Rhinomoto | Puig
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also and I'm not sure about this off hand but won't a Duc.EE trick the ecu into thinking the flapper is there allowing you to remove it? I assume it's gotta be cheaper then getting the ecu programmed.

http://www.vizi-tec.com/duc-ee/
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Duc.EE was actually the first thing I looked at when the system started acting up a couple of months ago. At the time, I couldn't find anybody who was manufacturing them (Thanks for the link!). I wasn't even thinking about replacing the midpipe, at that point.

I'm planning to install a slip-on exhaust and an air filter in the spring. And I was going to have the ECU reflashed with the Ducati Performance map at the same time to help keep things running smoothly. I figured having them reprogram the chip to ignore the exhaust flapper system shouldn't be much more of an expense since they'll already have the unit.

That's just my assumption, though. If the price ain't right, I'll go with the Duc.EE.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also, I know a lot of riders from the forum use the Duc.EE and are happy with it, but I got mixed reviews from the guys at my dealership. The head service guy said he wanted one for his 848 EVO, but the dealership owner recommended against it. He said he didn't think he would trust anything that claimed to "trick" the ECU.

I'm lucky to live only about 20 minutes from a Ducati dealership. I know most of staff and they know me. I try to take advantage of that resource whenever I can.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

It's old now but you don't need any EE unless you want to save weight. (My boots weigh much more that the exhaust motor). Just leave the drive cable unhooked from the motor and the electrical harness connected. No EXV errors, runs fine.
cyberswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Meatpop (love the handle btw -

I saw your PM but figured I would respond here for others benefit looking to do the same...

I sold that 696 midpipe almost instantly, they are a bitch to find. Scour eBay and you may get lucky. That's where I found mine.

Options to ditch the EXVL...

Option #1 : Go with the Duc.EE + 696 midpipe. Despite what your mechanic has said I have never heard of anyone having issues on the new gen monster with the Duc.EE. Other models? Who knows. Cheap, looks good, saves weight, and you get a wee bit better flow from not having that butterfly in the midpipe.

Option #2 : Get your ECU reflashed + 696 midpipe (or alternatively a full system!) This I would highly recommend. The reflash will greatly increase response, smooth out delivery (especially in the lower rpms) AND you get rid of the EXVL/02 sensors at the same time. Rexxer has been greatly received for reflashing the newer gen monsters with the Siemens ECU and reviews are almost unanimously positive. I am awaiting my Rexxer relashed ECU in the mail as we speak.

Either option you choose your bike will thank you
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the response, jmlenz. I pretty much assumed your midpipe had been spoken for, by now. But no harm in checking, right?

I'm going to try to do the 696 midpipe + ECU reflash option. Now all I have to do is find a used one. They retail new for about $700...

Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

What about this, not sure if its still there or not.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/1268371-post1.html
Advertisement