Motodynamic Rear Light Issues? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Motodynamic Rear Light Issues?

I want to purchase these integrated turn signal rear lights on my 696 but I was told by my friend at a dealer that Ducatis' have very specific electrical systems and can be messed up easily...so is he right? Does anyone have experience with the Motodynamic lights? Any info would be appreciated, thanks. I also wanted to change my front headlight to a brighter white light but he said the same thing.
Monstro 1100 Anniversary Edition #26
hzelaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't say I have experience with one yet, but that sounds laughable to me. Electricity is electricity is electricity. Plenty of people have installed those without issue. An integrated taillight is hardly fucking with the electrical system. It'll be fine.

Motodynamic wouldn't be constantly sold out of them if they fucked up peoples' bikes.

Edit: just thought I'd add, I'm personally on the mailing list to be informed as soon as their smoked ones are back in stock so I can order one.

Last edited by malamikigo; 12-16-2012 at 03:28 AM.
malamikigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mala did you wake up too early, or thought you'd sign in one last time after a night of drinking? So much hostility towards electricity.

The issue I've heard of is from people that don't install their work carefully and end up placing a wire where it can be chafed later, or install a short immediately. The short has the possibility of doing more damage. As the wires begin to melt, it can cause other wires to short if the fuse doesn't go fast enough. I've read rumors of people frying their ECU or their voltage regulator due to the short.

So, does the light cause any problems? No. They work just fine. Sloppy craftsmanship has killed many a project. Just try to keep the smoke in the wires. They put it in there for a reason. An internet search will explain that the factory that makes the wire installs smoke between the wire and the insulation, it gives the electrons something to jump from particle to particle until it reaches it's final destination. The wire is in there to give a place to bolt it down, it serves no other function besides a mechanical joint. The insulation was not strong enough to serve as the anchor, but does a great job of holding the smoke together. You may want to try to argue this with me later but I will win. Just ask anyone that has accidentally let the smoke out of their wiring if the lights still worked. Let enough smoke out, no lights.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wasn't being hostile..

I was going to add that it wouldn't be the taillight screwing things up, it would be peoples' incorrect installations. But that applies to everything everywhere, so I thought it went without saying..
Old 12-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

You know, the electricity can be dangerous. One time I was working on my computer and, all of a sudden, all the magic smoke left my computer! I tried to force it back in, but to no avail, Once the magic smoke leaves the wires, the wires are automatically dead.

Seriously, though, I just took off my stock turn signals and brake light and installed a Light Werkes light (not as good as MotoD, but, hey, you use what you got) and it was a piece of cake! I used the stock bullet connectors for the brake lights and crimped some new bullet connectors off the stock light so they would slip right into the bullets for the new light. Little heat shrink, some quick ties, some shoving of wires under seat, and Voila! One tip, most integrated lights use the ground built in the light for the turn signal ground. So, just plug in the hot wire for the turn signals.

If you, say, wired a light switch, you can def. handle this.

Of course, right after this, I wanted to ride around with my cool new light and my bike wouldn't start! 20 mins and checking all connections later, I realized I had flipped the kill switch! I don't usually use my kill switch, so I didn't think to check. Ha ha, joke was one me on that one.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
I wasn't being hostile..

I was going to add that it wouldn't be the taillight screwing things up, it would be peoples' incorrect installations. But that applies to everything everywhere, so I thought it went without saying..

Actually I liked your original post and was just poking fun.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I would probably have the service center to it because I am a sad excuse for a man and they will cover any issues if they set it up. I would want to change my headlights but dont know any good brands, any suggestions on that?
Monstro 1100 Anniversary Edition #26
hzelaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Actually I liked your original post and was just poking fun.

ahhh gotcha. haha. WHOOSH over my head.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Headlight

For a brighter headlight bulb, you can't go wrong with a PIAA brand. If that is too much (and they are pricey), the Xenon or Slyvania super bright whites are also good.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think that across the board, most people who have problems with lighting and electrical parts, usually find the issue is with the installation and not the part itself.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement