Ducati performance alarm for a 796 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ducati performance alarm for a 796

Does anyone have the Ducati Performance alarm on a new Monster, specifically a 796? Does it work well, and is it worth the money; I have found one for 220.00? Is it a plug and play application?

I am thinking of this for added security. I realize it does not guarantee the bike will not be stolen; I am more interested to know when someone is messing with the bike. I live in an APT, and the bike is right out front of my bedroom window. I figure a nice alarm will allow me to scare off novice thieves and warn me when pranksters are fooling around.

Thank you to anyone that can give me some information.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasaholic View Post
Does anyone have the Ducati Performance alarm on a new Monster, specifically a 796? Does it work well, and is it worth the money; I have found one for 220.00? Is it a plug and play application?

I am thinking of this for added security. I realize it does not guarantee the bike will not be stolen; I am more interested to know when someone is messing with the bike. I live in an APT, and the bike is right out front of my bedroom window. I figure a nice alarm will allow me to scare off novice thieves and warn me when pranksters are fooling around.

Thank you to anyone that can give me some information.

I do have installed the DP alarm system (which is made by "patrol" btw) and let's just say that it's as barebones as it gets...

On with the - :

1) You'll have the the "check engine" light on your dash lighting up whenever you reach the rev. limiter (about the 8K rpm mark) - it's a known "bug" you see...
It's a false warning, still, it's bloody annoying from the moment that this is supposed to be the "official" DP one since compatibility should be "perfect".
And oh, it wasn't a faulty unit since the dealer swapped it for a new one which also presented the same problem...

2) It's incredibly finicky as in, If you have the alarm system set at the top 2 loud settings it's going to get triggered randomly by itself - this is especially true during Summertime for some strange reason.
i'm no electrician but apparently, excessive heat has something to do with it).

3) As i said above, the system is "barebones", meaning, the system gets triggered only by shock, also, the remote doesn't feature a paging system like, for example a good Scorpio one...

All in all, a pretty average product, it's better than nothing for sure but had i know all of this before i'd have gone with an alarm system by Scorpio with a pager etc.
Of course, there's always the warranty thing to take into account, so...

Cheers

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 11-13-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Rosso Classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem578 View Post
I do have installed the DP alarm system (which is made by "patrol" btw) and let's just say that it's as barebones as it gets...

On with the - :

1) You'll have the the "check engine" light on your dash lighting up whenever you reach the rev. limiter (about the 8K rpm mark) - it's a known "bug" you see...
It's a false warning, still, it's bloody annoying from the moment that this is supposed to be the "official" DP one since compatibility should be "perfect".
And oh, it wasn't a faulty unit since the dealer swapped it for a new one which also presented the same problem...

2) It's incredibly finicky as in, If you have the alarm system set at the top 2 loud settings it's going to get triggered randomly by itself - this is especially true during Summertime for some strange reason.
i'm no electrician but apparently, excessive heat has something to do with it).

3) As i said above, the system is "barebones", meaning, the system gets triggered only by shock, also, the remote doesn't feature a paging system like, for example a good Scorpio one...

All in all, a pretty average product, it's better than nothing for sure but had i know all of this before i'd have gone with an alarm system by Scorpio with a pager etc.
Of course, there's always the warranty thing to take into account, so...

Cheers
Thank you for that information. I am torn at this point, due to the cost of the alternatives I have found.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem578 View Post

On with the - :

Cheers
Thats VERY interesting... I have been suffering from the engine check light on my 796 coming on during 'spirited' riding and the dealer cant find any problems logged with the bike, so was a bit of a mystery and somewhat disconcerting!

I had the Ducati alarm installed from day 1 so have not experienced what the engine light would do without it fitted, also since you don't hit 8K whilst running it in, it took some time before this problem came to light. No-one has ever mentioned it might be alarm connected!

If this is the case then I can put my mind at rest and just keep it pinned [laugh]
Nick_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just consider it a "shift indicator". You'd pay good money for an aftermarket indicator.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M View Post
Thats VERY interesting... I have been suffering from the engine check light on my 796 coming on during 'spirited' riding and the dealer cant find any problems logged with the bike, so was a bit of a mystery and somewhat disconcerting!

I had the Ducati alarm installed from day 1 so have not experienced what the engine light would do without it fitted, also since you don't hit 8K whilst running it in, it took some time before this problem came to light. No-one has ever mentioned it might be alarm connected!

If this is the case then I can put my mind at rest and just keep it pinned [laugh]
Nick, as i stated above my good man it's a known issue - try to disconnect the alarm system and see if it still does it (hint:it doesn't).

My mechanic basically changed the routing and the "problem" went away...

Also : what Mike said ;D
Rosso Classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Just consider it a "shift indicator". You'd pay good money for an aftermarket indicator.
Yes, but when you're flat out in top there's nowhere left to shift to!! ;D
Nick_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement