»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default SSS mod on a 696

Hello there, i am looking to swap my 696 (2008) swingarm to a single sided one and i have found one for a street fighter...
does anyone know if it is a clean swap??

Thanks
Dan
DKM696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

no, the street fighter is not a direct swap, the shock mounting position is completely different. You can use the swing arm off an 1100, 1100evo, or a 796.

You have to replace the rear wheel, you will have to replace the rear brake line, the gear is set up is for a 525 on the sssa, be sure to get the complete swingarm with the speed sensor/ caliper bracket/ pinch bolt and chain guide. and you'l have to get a speedo tamer for it as well, given the standard swingarm speedo uses 6 points for the sensor and the sssa uses four, when you are doing 60 mph your speedo will only register 40mph.

I've done this mod on my 696 already. I put a JT quick change carier on it with a 42t and used a 525 front gear and chain for longevity. I also put woodcraft rear sets on to get rid of those fugly bracket wing things. you can use the same pivot rod and rear set mouting hardware
65218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hear one of the hypomotard's sssa is a possible swap also

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default SSSA for a 696

Thanks guys...that is extremely useful, especially your post 65218.. i've seen that also the rear wheel of the Hyper would also fit.
i'll have to keep on looking for the right assembly...they re not that easy to find....
Are there any photos of your bike 65218 where we can see the new swingarm??
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

sure

here's the build, I got the swingarm from rubbersideup on e bay for a good price, I beleive the wheels are of an 848. The masters and the forks are off an 848 evo, woodcraft clipons, speedy moto triples, airbox off a 796 with a k&n, ducati performance seat, compwerks tail kit painted flat black, 1100 exhaust, termi w/ ecu for a 696, woodcraft rear sets, billet alternator cover and reservior covers, goodrich clutch and rear brake lines, crg mirrors with rhino moto slider bar ends, speedy moto frame slider, DP carbon front fender, Bestem carbon rear hugger, JT rear sprocket and QC carrier set up with a 525 15/42. other littl ebits like preload adjusters grips, smoked windscreen, etc.
http://www.ducati.org/forums/monster...build-3-a.html

I've since gotten a speedy moto sprocket cover, done some monkeying around with suspension setup, and got new tires. The 1100 exhaust gives it lots of performance when romping on it and running it up mountain roads, but on a slow downhill put at about 4k I get an intermittant lambda code simply because it is overpiped for that. The bike flicks into corners so amazingly well. I was planning on putting an oil cooler and a steering damper on it too, but nothing reasonable is coming up on e bay lately.

I might be selling it shortly if my S2R 1000 doesn't move. I'm pairing down the stable and my 848 corse is not going anywhere.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Can anyone confirm this? I want to do this swap and all I'm finding are hyper swing arms..

and gothamcycle's 1100 swing arm that they want a grand for
MaLeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Can someone confirm this?
MaLeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Love the blue. Very different. I think it's the first blue 696 I've seen

Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

The hyper has a center mounted shock on a rocker link,It won't work. The new 848 hyper looks to have a side mounted shock like the late gen monsters and that might work, but the bike hasn't even been released yet.

I got my monster 1100evo swing arm for less than $750 shipped with the complete hub/axle, gear/carier, rotor, speed sensor,chain gaurd and guide, and brake mount. and it was in excellent shape.

Be patient, it's rainy season there are sure to be more bikes at the salvage yards soon. My advice it to slowly accumulate all the parts you need for the mod all the way down to the bolts and plastic washers for the hugger mount before you get an itch to put the bike together. Patience will save you alot of money and your bike will only be torn down for a day instead of weeks to months.

Last edited by 65218; 11-12-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow...very nice transformation...this is a proof how much an entry level monster can be fun to work with and modify into a unique bike....good luck and enjoy it and thank for al the info...i hope i ll find son an assembly so i can start my project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement