»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default M11oo evo zard slipon

Decided to buy some new pipes. Termi's are just too expensive at $2000. I like the look of the Zard carbon shotgun pipe which I can buy from Italy for $1000.I actually think they look better than the Termis but want to know how they sound and the quality etc.if anyone has purchased Zards I would appriciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6771082821_a66a2642b7_z.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	104791  

Last edited by Evo1100; 11-03-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Evo1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So you say the Termi's are too expensive?

The Zard's are a better deal?

Did you consider that the Termi's are actually a Factory designed part that was engineered by Ducati to perform the way the Factory would want all of their bikes to perform around the world if there were not noise and EPA restrictions? The 2 companies work hand in hand to design and test the exhaust.

Then did you notice that Ducati is selling you a full kit? Not only do you get the exhaust but you also get a filter kit, airbox update, and a Factory tuned ECU? So now you end up with the full package.

Sure the Zards will mount and probably run well. Other forum users will end up purchasing items such as Power Commanders, Bazzaz units, and/or send their ECU's out for reprogramming, you'll also want to have your fuel/air/trim settings done at a Dealer after installing that Zard to make sure it's not running rich or lean. Again the bike will probably run with the exhaust out of the box, but to make sure it's running correctly will still cost you more money. At least spend $100-200 for testing and adjustments.

So then when you begin to add it all up, the Termi kit (while still expensive I will admit) is actually a better buy than just slip-ons. You can run other brand of pipes if you just prefer the look of them more, but you should also always look at the big picture as you change one thing, what does it affect. What I'm on about is that if you are stuck on the Zards, then you should also consider a good air filter ($50-100) such as K&N, MWR, or Piper, then have your ECU reprogrammed ($200-400) and I've read that the reflash does not deliver enough fuel so consider a Bazzaz unit to richen up the mixture. Plus some time tuning it all in either with a Dealer or competent dyno tuner.

That's the way to properly change out your exhaust, the way that helps to prevent you coming back to the forums in 6 months complaining about how your bike runs strange but only on Thursdays. My S4RS and Paul Smart both have the Factory Termi kits on both. The S4RS has the track competition full kit, and my PS has the dual slip on kit. Both bikes run flawlessly and I have no complaints about them. Best part is that I'm not chasing down weird little gremlins.

To your original question about quality and such. Zard does make nice exhausts. There was a story at AF1 about them fitting poorly on a 998 or 1098, the techs did some cutting and welding to get the tabs to line up better. But overall they make a decent product.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.

Last edited by caferacermike; 11-03-2012 at 08:56 AM.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your commments Mike. I agree the Termis are a better product for all the reasons you mention.I did not know you had to retune as Zard claim on there website the pipes run perfectly ok with the OEM ECU.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sure if I was manufacturing an item and placing it for sale, I would tell you it works perfectly as well.

As I said in my reply, I'm sure they will bolt up and run, but the big picture is that you need to verify that your machine does not have any negative consequences. Changing out air filter brands could upset these machines.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

My main reasons for installing an aftermarket pipe is to improve looks and sound.Iam not really chasing performance so I do not intend to upgrade the air filter.has anyone installed a zard on an evo?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo1100 View Post
Thanks for your commments Mike. I agree the Termis are a better product for all the reasons you mention.I did not know you had to retune as Zard claim on there website the pipes run perfectly ok with the OEM ECU.
It is generally accepted that ONLY a slip-on exhaust WILL NOT require a ECU reflash/retune on the new gen monsters. Once you add filters, full exhaust, airbox mods, etc. then a reflash becomes more of a necessity.

I too think the Termi kit is overpriced for what you get. Your paying for the name and the convenience of a turn-key solution, which is not all bad mind you! IMO your hard earned dollars will be better served with your Zard + Rexxer reflash (~$300). Most people report an improvement coming from the Termi ECU to a rexxer reflash as well.
jmlenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Jmlenz,your opinion is valued. I will look into the rexxer reflash which I am not familiar with.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

After taking your comments on bopard I have done a bit more research and now admit I will need to spend at least $400 to get fueling setup to new pipes.contacted sydney dyno today to give me a quote to set it all up....hmmmm $1400 for Zards or $2k for the termis??????. I'll sleep on it.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the full Termi kit on my bike. Open airbox with K&N Air Filter, ECU, new camshafts, complete exhaust, dyno tuned. Took ALL the emission control crap off the bike. It was expensive as hell but it completely changed the motor. It runs amazing, sounds incredible, but would I recommend somebody go the same route I did? If you have the money then yes, but you could get almost the same results for less money. Zard makes some good stuff, I would not hesitate to purchase that kit.
tex-mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

After shopping aound I have found an Italian company on Ebay that can supply me with a set of termis delivered to Australia for $1375 .my local ducati dealer wants $2300 for the same thing.its now a no brainer. Termis it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement