Racetech Springs for Marzocchi non-adjustable forks (part numbers provided) - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Racetech Springs for Marzocchi non-adjustable forks (part numbers provided)

Did quite a bit of research before I found that a simple call to Racetech would have sufficed, but am providing this anyways...

There are quite a few threads regarding the non-adjustable forks which are provided on the 696 (43mm USD Marzocchi) and some solutions ranging from fabbed pre-load spacers to replacing the forks altogether. I actually found a thread or two regarding replacing the stock springs with aftermarket, but no part numbers, etc. to get one started, well here it is, courtesy of Racetech, whom I just ordered a set from:

37x315x925 $109.95

Part# FRSPS3732095 (this is for my application, the last 2 numbers will vary depending on the rate you select)

http://www.racetech.com/

I actually went with a higher spring rate for my weight (210lbs) but the folks at Racetech can give you a custom rate depending on your needs. Much cheaper and simpler than replacing with another set of forks and likely the best "all round" solution (although the custom preload spacer was tempting). By the way, the customer service at Racetech is EXCELLENT!!!

Garry
elgallo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great thread. I'm a big boy (235lbs)and would like to make some adjustment to my suspension too. But suspension and carbs are foreign to me.

Sent from my Monster 696
Lightwerkes Integrated Tail light
Leo Vince GP Style Slip-ons
Black Rizoma Bars
Barracuda Retro Stone Mirrors
14t Front Sprocket
Techspec Tank Pads
EuroShoud/TPO Removal Kit
Speedymoto Frame, Front/Rear Axle Sliders
Vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow! That's a great price. I'm thinking about giving race tech a call for my forks, couple of quick questions for you:
1. Do you send your forks in or are you doing the job yourself?
2. I'm also 210 lbs with gear, are you thinking about doing the rear shock as well? If not, what settings are you using?

Thanks!
-Steve

Oh and I have a 2011 796

Last edited by sdang50; 10-17-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Forgot important details
sdang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did the job myself but in hindsight would have sent them in, much easier, particularly if you do not have a well stocked workshop (the forks require a special tool for an inner bolt). Again, I will HIGHLY recommend sending your forks in to Racetech or your local shop for the install. This job can get VERY messy!!!

I made no changes to the rear shock save for adjustments, I did set my sag at the recommended height (cannot remember exactly how much now, I have since sold my Monster and purchased another bike, 40-50mm???).

The change in handling was NIGHT and DAY! Completely transformed the bike! I went with a .925kg/mm spring rate and it was SPOT ON!

In all fairness, for the majority of riders, this is the best "bang for the buck" to fix the front suspension on the Monster 696/796 series. Fork swaps can be a PITA and necessitate machining spacers among other issues (unless you can get your hands on a set of Ohlins for the M1100).

I know the forks on the 696 and 796 are criticized for being "low end" but in my opinion are actually fairly decent, they just require better springs and maybe a different weight fork oil. Having stated this, I will admit I am not a track rider...
elgallo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely a great way to sort out the front end a little for street riding. I'm 180lbs without gear, and found the stock forks on the 796 extremely soft from the factory. Could be based on the fact that they were originally designed for the 696, and then "bolted" to the 796 to keep costs down.

I've used Racetech on previous bikes/suspensions, and have nothing but good things to say about them. It's not perfect, since the damping is setup for the stock spring rate, which you can only somewhat change by oil weight, but is plenty good for the street.

I decided to go the fork replacement route, and ended up finding a good used pair of M1100 forks (stock not the Ohlins on the S) since I take the bike to track days. Best investment I've done on the bike. Cost was roughly $500, but well worth it in my opinion, as the front is now adjustable and rides extremely well. For track days, the adjustability is a big plus, but for the street, you basically set it for yourself and forget it, so the Racetech springs are a good way to go.

Either way, if you do any kind of aggressive riding (basically anything more than commuting), you should definitely consider a fork upgrade first.
-Braking SK front rotors
-Ohlins DU737 / 1100 Showa forks w/Racetech .85 springs, Ohlins FPK valving & K-Tech comp needles
-S4R rearsets / LSL racing pegs
-SC Project Carbon Slip-Ons, Carbon belt covers
mszilves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszilves View Post
Definitely a great way to sort out the front end a little for street riding. I'm 180lbs without gear, and found the stock forks on the 796 extremely soft from the factory. Could be based on the fact that they were originally designed for the 696, and then "bolted" to the 796 to keep costs down.

I've used Racetech on previous bikes/suspensions, and have nothing but good things to say about them. It's not perfect, since the damping is setup for the stock spring rate, which you can only somewhat change by oil weight, but is plenty good for the street.

I decided to go the fork replacement route, and ended up finding a good used pair of M1100 forks (stock not the Ohlins on the S) since I take the bike to track days. Best investment I've done on the bike. Cost was roughly $500, but well worth it in my opinion, as the front is now adjustable and rides extremely well. For track days, the adjustability is a big plus, but for the street, you basically set it for yourself and forget it, so the Racetech springs are a good way to go.

Either way, if you do any kind of aggressive riding (basically anything more than commuting), you should definitely consider a fork upgrade first.
Thanks for the input! I do ride in the mountains every weekend... I've been looking into different forks from the 1100s but everyone wants an arm and a leg, even for the stock forks. My other question is: how difficult is it to remove your forks? Do you know if there is a guide on this forum, I've tried searching, but none a real step by step guide on the 796?

Thanks again!
-Steve
sdang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do the Marzocchi forks have the same wacky damper setup that the Showa's do?

I've always hoped that someone would come out with affordable, adjustable replacement internals for my bike, but I've pretty much given up on that dream.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post
Do the Marzocchi forks have the same wacky damper setup that the Showa's do?

I've always hoped that someone would come out with affordable, adjustable replacement internals for my bike, but I've pretty much given up on that dream.
The Marzocchi's are the same... Only one of the forks has a cartridge in it, the other is basically just a spring. I researched a lot before deciding to replace the forks. I got a couple quotes to change the internals out, but IMO was totally not worth it. For about $500, if you keep your eyes out, you can eventually pick up a good set of Monster 1100 forks, which in my opinion is the most cost effective way of upgrading the front end on the 796.
-Braking SK front rotors
-Ohlins DU737 / 1100 Showa forks w/Racetech .85 springs, Ohlins FPK valving & K-Tech comp needles
Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdang50 View Post
Thanks for the input! I do ride in the mountains every weekend... I've been looking into different forks from the 1100s but everyone wants an arm and a leg, even for the stock forks. My other question is: how difficult is it to remove your forks? Do you know if there is a guide on this forum, I've tried searching, but none a real step by step guide on the 796?

Thanks again!
-Steve
The forks are no more difficult than any other bike. Basically the steps are:
1. support the front end (either a triple-style stand) or rear-stand with jack or something similar under the front of the engine
2. remove calipers
3. remove wheel
4. undo upper/lower pinch bolts and pull the forks out. I would suggest a plastic wedge or something similar to wedge the lower triple open a little, otherwise you may scratch the forks (learned this the hard way) when pulling them out

If you've never removed forks, I would suggest getting someone with experience to help. Last thing you want to do is drop the bike by accident while doing it.
-Braking SK front rotors
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

$110 !!! Pretty good price.

Anybody know how much they charge I you send them in?

I have been trying to think of the best way to go about the front end. This is by far the cheapest.

I also have a line on a set of 848 Showa forks for a great price. Anybody done that conversion yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
CanadianEh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement