Monster 796 Exhaust question - Page 5 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #41 (permalink)

Hey lukkyStrike - is tuning something you could do in Lafayette? You're only an hour (driving easy) from me..
bodybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #42 (permalink)

Installed my Arrow pipes (with carbon end-caps) yesterday and went for a ride. Without the baffles the pipes sound amazing!

Also, to contribute to one of the earlier discussions here about engine idle RPM jumping from 1100 to 1800 with the Termis with the stock ECU.......my bike idled at 1100 with the stock pipes and it idles between 1100-1200 with the Arrows. No problem there, and yet another reason NOT to buy Termis.

By the way......it sounds like a booming gun emplacement when you down shift and let the clutch out! AMAZING!
Canuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
Installed my Arrow pipes (with carbon end-caps) yesterday and went for a ride. Without the baffles the pipes sound amazing!

Also, to contribute to one of the earlier discussions here about engine idle RPM jumping from 1100 to 1800 with the Termis with the stock ECU.......my bike idled at 1100 with the stock pipes and it idles between 1100-1200 with the Arrows. No problem there, and yet another reason NOT to buy Termis.

By the way......it sounds like a booming gun emplacement when you down shift and let the clutch out! AMAZING!
was it hard to remove the db killers?

and do you have any video or pics? wanted to see how the darks with the carbon tips look when installed.
Francesco_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco_T View Post
was it hard to remove the db killers?

and do you have any video or pics? wanted to see how the darks with the carbon tips look when installed.
The baffles were pretty easy to remove using just a pair of needle-nose pliers....just have to really press the tips into the holes on the circlips.

Here are some pics from yesterday:

Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

those look really good. bet they sound great too.
Francesco_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #46 (permalink)

Here's a brief clip of a cold start of the pipes from last night (you can see that the idle RPM is in the normal range):

Last edited by Canuckster; 03-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #47 (permalink)

Interesting thread. I can tell you what I've done to my 2011 796.

First, I installed Arrow Dark slip ons w/out the baffles. Sounded great, and the bike ran OK. In my opinion, it was still running "factory lean."

Second, I installed a Bazazz Z-Fi fuel control unit w/the Bazzaz fuel map for the 796. I was really disappointed with how the bike ran with the Bazzaz map. It was making HUGE adjustments to richen the bike out. Way too radical in my opinion.

Third, I installed the Bazzaz Z-AFM self mapping unit. This replaces the O2 sensors and does a mapping (after a 30 minute ride) of suggested modifications to the Z-Fi map based on a suggested Air/Fuel ratio. This made a HUGE positive difference - MAJOR. The bike was running awesome and I notices a significant change in the power bands.

EDIT: Keep in mind that w/the free Bazzaz software that you connect via USB to your bike, you can trial/error changes to the fuel map manually. I did this before I installed the Z-AFM and it was pretty successful. It's just WAY easier with the AFM.

Forth, realizing that how the bike "breathes" is a combination of the air flow coming-in as well as the air flow going-out. I installed an MWR air filter with an open (top) air box. This required another mapping ride for the Bazzaz AFM system to figure out the new air flow and modify the fuel map. Once applied, I'm just telling you - the difference is significant.

So, net/net. Put on great sounding pipes that opens up the air-out. Open up the air-in. Put on a fuel management system that has a self-mapping unit that knows how to "fool" the ECU via the O2 sensors. The difference is MASSIVE.

Oh, another "must do" mod in my opinion is a 14-tooth front sprocket.

Last edited by RLSinOP; 03-13-2012 at 08:33 PM.
RLSinOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinOP View Post
First, I installed Arrow Dark slip ons w/out the baffles. Sounded great, and the bike ran OK. In my opinion, it was still running "factory rich."
What do you mean by "factory rich"? Do you feel the stock exhaust ran this way?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
What do you mean by "factory rich"? Do you feel the stock exhaust ran this way?
Sorry - long day and my brain was in reverse. I meant to say "factory lean." Newer Duc's are notorious for running lean due to the need to meet European emissions compliance standards. Like I said, the map that I got from Bazzaz richened out my 796 out a TON. Here's a fuel map from Bazzaz for the 796 after adding slip on pipes. Each RPM / Throttle position cell is a fuel adjustment. For example, the intersection of 40% open throttle at 4000 RPM's adds 34% more fuel.

RLSinOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinOP View Post
Sorry - long day and my brain was in reverse. I meant to say "factory lean." Newer Duc's are notorious for running lean due to the need to meet European emissions compliance standards. Like I said, the map that I got from Bazzaz richened out my 796 out a TON. Here's a fuel map from Bazzaz for the 796 after adding slip on pipes. Each RPM / Throttle position cell is a fuel adjustment. For example, the intersection of 40% open throttle at 4000 RPM's adds 34% more fuel.

I see no changes in the lower RPMs. Is it still adjustable? Also, is there an option to run in factory setting mode?
giantdefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement