Monster 796 Exhaust question - Page 5 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
bodybag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 91
Default

Hey lukkyStrike - is tuning something you could do in Lafayette? You're only an hour (driving easy) from me..
bodybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default

Installed my Arrow pipes (with carbon end-caps) yesterday and went for a ride. Without the baffles the pipes sound amazing!

Also, to contribute to one of the earlier discussions here about engine idle RPM jumping from 1100 to 1800 with the Termis with the stock ECU.......my bike idled at 1100 with the stock pipes and it idles between 1100-1200 with the Arrows. No problem there, and yet another reason NOT to buy Termis.

By the way......it sounds like a booming gun emplacement when you down shift and let the clutch out! AMAZING!
Canuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Francesco_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
Installed my Arrow pipes (with carbon end-caps) yesterday and went for a ride. Without the baffles the pipes sound amazing!

Also, to contribute to one of the earlier discussions here about engine idle RPM jumping from 1100 to 1800 with the Termis with the stock ECU.......my bike idled at 1100 with the stock pipes and it idles between 1100-1200 with the Arrows. No problem there, and yet another reason NOT to buy Termis.

By the way......it sounds like a booming gun emplacement when you down shift and let the clutch out! AMAZING!
was it hard to remove the db killers?

and do you have any video or pics? wanted to see how the darks with the carbon tips look when installed.
Francesco_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco_T View Post
was it hard to remove the db killers?

and do you have any video or pics? wanted to see how the darks with the carbon tips look when installed.
The baffles were pretty easy to remove using just a pair of needle-nose pliers....just have to really press the tips into the holes on the circlips.

Here are some pics from yesterday:


Canuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Francesco_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 80
Default

those look really good. bet they sound great too.
Francesco_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default

Here's a brief clip of a cold start of the pipes from last night (you can see that the idle RPM is in the normal range):


Last edited by Canuckster; 03-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Canuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Default

Interesting thread. I can tell you what I've done to my 2011 796.

First, I installed Arrow Dark slip ons w/out the baffles. Sounded great, and the bike ran OK. In my opinion, it was still running "factory lean."

Second, I installed a Bazazz Z-Fi fuel control unit w/the Bazzaz fuel map for the 796. I was really disappointed with how the bike ran with the Bazzaz map. It was making HUGE adjustments to richen the bike out. Way too radical in my opinion.

Third, I installed the Bazzaz Z-AFM self mapping unit. This replaces the O2 sensors and does a mapping (after a 30 minute ride) of suggested modifications to the Z-Fi map based on a suggested Air/Fuel ratio. This made a HUGE positive difference - MAJOR. The bike was running awesome and I notices a significant change in the power bands.

EDIT: Keep in mind that w/the free Bazzaz software that you connect via USB to your bike, you can trial/error changes to the fuel map manually. I did this before I installed the Z-AFM and it was pretty successful. It's just WAY easier with the AFM.

Forth, realizing that how the bike "breathes" is a combination of the air flow coming-in as well as the air flow going-out. I installed an MWR air filter with an open (top) air box. This required another mapping ride for the Bazzaz AFM system to figure out the new air flow and modify the fuel map. Once applied, I'm just telling you - the difference is significant.

So, net/net. Put on great sounding pipes that opens up the air-out. Open up the air-in. Put on a fuel management system that has a self-mapping unit that knows how to "fool" the ECU via the O2 sensors. The difference is MASSIVE.

Oh, another "must do" mod in my opinion is a 14-tooth front sprocket.
__________________
___________________
RLSinOP
2011 Monster 796 ABS

Last edited by RLSinOP; 03-13-2012 at 08:33 PM.
RLSinOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinOP View Post
First, I installed Arrow Dark slip ons w/out the baffles. Sounded great, and the bike ran OK. In my opinion, it was still running "factory rich."
What do you mean by "factory rich"? Do you feel the stock exhaust ran this way?
Canuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckster View Post
What do you mean by "factory rich"? Do you feel the stock exhaust ran this way?
Sorry - long day and my brain was in reverse. I meant to say "factory lean." Newer Duc's are notorious for running lean due to the need to meet European emissions compliance standards. Like I said, the map that I got from Bazzaz richened out my 796 out a TON. Here's a fuel map from Bazzaz for the 796 after adding slip on pipes. Each RPM / Throttle position cell is a fuel adjustment. For example, the intersection of 40% open throttle at 4000 RPM's adds 34% more fuel.

__________________
___________________
RLSinOP
2011 Monster 796 ABS
RLSinOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Travis AFB
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinOP View Post
Sorry - long day and my brain was in reverse. I meant to say "factory lean." Newer Duc's are notorious for running lean due to the need to meet European emissions compliance standards. Like I said, the map that I got from Bazzaz richened out my 796 out a TON. Here's a fuel map from Bazzaz for the 796 after adding slip on pipes. Each RPM / Throttle position cell is a fuel adjustment. For example, the intersection of 40% open throttle at 4000 RPM's adds 34% more fuel.


I see no changes in the lower RPMs. Is it still adjustable? Also, is there an option to run in factory setting mode?
giantdefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum