Anyone have Rizoma Handle Bars? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone have Rizoma Handle Bars?

What benefit would be obtained changing the stock 1100 Evo handle bars to Rizoma (or another brand)? Rizoma appears to offer a thicker 1 1/8 inch bar and a standard bar. They state their bar offers a "sporty bend". Is the big difference from the stock bar the color choices available with Rizoma? How can their grips fit the stock bar and the thicker Rizoma bars? That would be strange to fit both diameters. Right? Thanks for your input.

2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
SuperGmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I really like the Rizoma bars. I didn't get the conical bars. I put the regular bar, in black, on my Monster 696 and the it doesn't change the riding position drastically. What I found is that the hands/wrists are in a more comfortable position. Does that make sense? The wrist seems to rest a bit more straight with less of a kink then the stock bars, so the ergonomics of the riding position changes to a more comfortable ride.
Lightwerkes Integrated Tail light
Leo Vince GP Style Slip-ons
Black Rizoma Bars
Barracuda Retro Stone Mirrors
14t Front Sprocket
Techspec Tank Pads
EuroShoud/TPO Removal Kit
Speedymoto Frame, Front/Rear Axle Sliders
Vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm assuming your bars are the same diameter as the stock bars? Do you see better with those Retro Mirrors?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

The diameter refers to the clamping area on the bar. It tapers back to the standard size whe the grips and controls are mounted. The aluminum rizoma bar tends to be a bit buzzier on the hands but is a stiffer interface that the stock cromoly. If you reay want a better feel get clip ons. wood craft makes a good set with a rise that puts them at stock height
65218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Eric9877,
How do the clip-ons provide better feel? Are they stiffer(rigid with less flex) than handle bars?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

stiffer and you can change the angles on them to fit you better. rizoma makes a top triple with integrated bars or you can get standard clipons that clamp on the fork tubes just under the top clamp.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the conical Rizoma bars and love them. They are more "in" than the stock bars which makes the hands rest on them at a more natural position [see pic]. The change is indeed a subtle one but it makes a huge difference, and if done correctly you won't need to re-route any stock cables or hoses. The reason for the taper in the bar is to reduce vibration. Where the bar clamps, the diameter is 29mm and where the hands sit its 22mm.

In my opinion I don't think clip-ons look right on Monsters and they add drastic changes to the ergonomics of the bike.

I went with the 'less is better' approach and I'm glad i did.
NateNewThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another pic of the bars installed
Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've got the rizoma bar on my s2r and a standard bar on my 696. the rizoma is comfortable for highway riding, but you have to use spacers or a riser clamp to raise the bar up or you hit the tank with your hands and tight gas station manuevers are a pain in the ass. For me I found the stock bar design and height feels better when carving the canyons. I'm actually looking into putting the woodcraft clip ons with the 2" rise on my 696. To me the rizoma bar on the newer monster is a bit like puttting a beach cruiser handlebar on a race bicycle only thing missing is the pink tassles on the ends. The overly upright sit back position the bars set you at doesn't match the performace of the bike.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9877 View Post
To me the rizoma bar on the newer monster is a bit like puttting a beach cruiser handlebar on a race bicycle only thing missing is the pink tassles on the ends. The overly upright sit back position the bars set you at doesn't match the performace of the bike.
Maybe if we were talking about the DP bars, I would kind of agree with you here.

That being said, the subtle change in the Rizoma bars accommodates the natural placement of your hand better than any other. Being compared to a beach cruiser bar is a vast exaggeration when considering how slight of a change it is from the stock bars. Have you ever thought about spinning your Rizoma bars more towards you? Sounds like you don't have them adjusted correctly if you are somehow simulating beach cruiser bars with the Rizoma bars.

If you are trying to simulate a revvy race bike and want that aggressive riding position then the clip-ons are your bars. But I know I wouldn't be able to ride for long periods of time with those things.

Last edited by NateNewThread; 02-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement