Anyone have Rizoma Handle Bars? - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #21 (permalink)

Here's some iCandy:

"My dreams for the future are simple: work, a happy, healthy family, a lovely long motorcycle ride, and continuing the struggle to awaken people to the need for serious human rights reform."
Mike Farrell
FLYNLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Like other members have said, it's not too difficul. The biggest pain in the butt is the peg that holds the controls in place.

I have heard from more then 1 person that the rizoma grips aren't really comfortable, find some that work for you. Plus they come up short by a half inch or so.

I like the feel and look of the bar I have. It was definitely worth the time.

Sent from my Monster 696
Lightwerkes Integrated Tail light
Leo Vince GP Style Slip-ons
Black Rizoma Bars
Barracuda Retro Stone Mirrors
14t Front Sprocket
Techspec Tank Pads
EuroShoud/TPO Removal Kit
Speedymoto Frame, Front/Rear Axle Sliders
Vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

What's some good things to look for in handlebars? I mean how would I know if they'll end up being good for me or not?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Francesco_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

i've got a gold Rizoma bar that i'll sell
i changed to clip-ons

'08 S2r 1000
'96 900 SS/SP
'02 ST4s (now gone )

IBA 38181
sofadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

It's simply about looks and comfort. Handlebars should be the color that you want given your bike color and style but arguably comfort is king. The height and "sweep" are usually the major considerations before thickness. The height and how swept back they are will greatly affect riding position and comfort. Obviously since rider size and bikes vary so much you need to figure out the best combo for YOU and how you RIDE.

Happy Hunting!

"My dreams for the future are simple: work, a happy, healthy family, a lovely long motorcycle ride, and continuing the struggle to awaken people to the need for serious human rights reform."
Mike Farrell
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagerider View Post
I really like the Rizoma bars. I didn't get the conical bars. I put the regular bar, in black, on my Monster 696 and the it doesn't change the riding position drastically. What I found is that the hands/wrists are in a more comfortable position. Does that make sense? The wrist seems to rest a bit more straight with less of a kink then the stock bars, so the ergonomics of the riding position changes to a more comfortable ride.
Vintagerider or anyone,

I am about to replace the OEM handlebar of my 09 Ducati monster 696 for a Rizoma and I am seeking for help. Since you already went thru the trouble, I hope you don't mind sharing the following:

1. Do you recommend Rizoma conical (22mm at the ends and 29 mm in the center) or standard (22 mm all the way)

2. what was the height of the handlebar you installed? some people in the thread are saying that it hits the fuel tank when full travel (either side). This is probably the 20 mm height one (Rizoma MA010)

3. Does the conical need a new clamp (called single u-lock in the spare parts catalogue) because of the 29 mm diameter or the stock clamps are good?

4. The installation for the left and right side controls call for guide pinholes in the bar to properly locate them along the bar. Does the Rizoma come with these guide pinholes? If not, did you have to drill them. I believe that I saw a picture in this thread comparing the OEM and the Rizoma and I do not really see the pinholes but that picture was not for a 696

5. Anything else I need to know, any good installation video will be appreciated

Thanks
Monster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #27 (permalink)

I recommend the 22 rather than the fatty bar simply b/c the fatty bar is unnecessary and provides no real advantage plus it's usually more expensive. I think it won't fit on the stock hardware anyway (clamp). My 22 does not come into contact with the tank from full stop to full stop, however, I have a 2005 S2R 800 so maybe it's a bit different.

If i remember correctly, one does need to file down the little plastic bumps in the electric switches so that they fit flush on the bar since the Rizoma (and most if not all) aftermarket bars do not come with holes for the mirror mounts and switches and such.

It's pretty easy to install it. Just make sure you get new stock grips so you won't need to wrestle the existing ones off the stock bar which won't be that easy and use a torque wrench for the handlebar clamp bolts which should be about 20 Nm. Those should be correctly tightened for obvious reasons.

Good luck!

Mike Farrell

Last edited by FLYNLO; 11-01-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

do not file off the locator tabs in the switch assemblies and the throttle!!!! your switches will likely shift and your throttle assembly absolutely spin on the bar as you ride, or attempt to ride.

Take measurements off your existing bar or by loosely installing the components on the bar, measure twice to be sure nothing is twisted, flipped, or in a different position that causes interference with the throttle cable or brake lines, then mark the lactions using a sharp center punch. Using the existing bar, find the appropriate drill bit size to make the holes. then using the center punched dimple as a guide, drill new locator holes in the bar. If you are using an aluminum bar like a rizoma or installing clip ons like woodcraft, the hole only has to be as deep as the locator tabs. there is no need to drill all the way through the wall of the tubing.
65218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have a Monster1100 evo and just installed the Rizomas in the taller rise and they are light years more comfortable. I think now I could have gone with the stock rise and been fine due to the more comfortable bend they have. I drilled for my throttle and shaved down the control pods just enough so as to not have to drill them but they never spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
kemorobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Also by the way I installed the conical bars on mine and I think the # was M050 or close to that. I have mine pulled back pretty far and they just barely touch at full lock. I going to rotate them a touch when I get her out again from Sandy protection in the shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
kemorobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement