Rearset bushings... - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Rearset bushings...

I'm in the process of getting some bits powder coated for my S4rs. There's only one problem. I can't for the life of me push the large rubber bushing out of the Rearsets. Has anyone been able to do this? Or are they meant to never come out?

I'd really like to powder coat them and not have to resort to rattle canning them...

“When you have 130 hp connected to your right wrist, an erect riding position that gives you perfect field of view and the mother of all stoppers you don't even ask yourself "why not" and end up riding like a total twat most--if not all--of the time.”

-Yossef Schvetz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM

I have not tired to remove them on my S2R, but the bushings are have a part number, 700.1.039.1A, and are available from Ducati.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

You probably need to do what I had to do when I powder coated my old style Monster wheels. I had to use a jig saw to cut through the bushing (the outer metal portion) and then use a huge hammer and chisel to fold the bushing in. I took them to my local dealer to have them pulled and after 3 hours they could only destroy the bushings, not remove them. They did not charge me for the time spent attempting the removal. Once I cut them away and got the wheels back, it only took a second to mount the new bushings. I kept them in the freezer and with a little grease smeared around them, they popped right in.

06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, sounds like a good reason to buy a set of rizoma's....

“When you have 130 hp connected to your right wrist, an erect riding position that gives you perfect field of view and the mother of all stoppers you don't even ask yourself "why not" and end up riding like a total twat most--if not all--of the time.”

-Yossef Schvetz
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Anti-bling

Alright, took the rear sets in with the rest of the parts and they came back looking great and the rubber bushings are in tact.

Thumbs up to Top Gun Coatings here in Calgary (no affiliation)

There wasn't ANY powder where I didn't want it and every threaded hole is squeeky clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_14392.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	102635  

-Yossef Schvetz
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkduke View Post
Alright, took the rear sets in with the rest of the parts and they came back looking great and the rubber bushings are in tact.

Thumbs up to Top Gun Coatings here in Calgary (no affiliation)

There wasn't ANY powder where I didn't want it and every threaded hole is squeeky clean.
Bringing back an old thread here.

I'm running into the same issue with the rearset bushing removal. From what I'm reading above you don't have to remove the rubber bushing in order to powdercoat? How did the rubber bushing not melt during the curing stage?

2011 Monster 796 ABS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM

I spoke to the powdercoating shop and they said the bushing can stay in the rearset and withstand the heat *IF* the rubber bushing is silicone based. If it is pure rubber it will just melt. Sooooo...does anyone know if these rearset bushings are pure rubber or are they silicone based??

It looks like the OP had the rearsets powdercoated with the bushings in place (indicating they are silicone based) but the guy is MIA and I can not confirm this to be true.

Anyone??

2011 Monster 796 ABS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hey man, sorry... been away for a bit.

Yes... I took a chance and had them done with the bushings in, turned out fine. The guy at the shop said he didn't turn the oven over 400 degrees, maybe that had something to do with it.

-Yossef Schvetz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode