Karate Kicked my rear turn signal by accident (Tail Chop related) - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Karate Kicked my rear turn signal by accident (Tail Chop related)

So... I've had my 796 for a few weeks now and I haven't even reached the break in 620 miles yet, lo and behold I'm going to put the bike away and I go to throw my leg over the seat to get on and accidentally kick the turn signal and it breaks clean off. So... my question is should I just buy a tail chop kit? or is there anyone out there that has done a tail chop that would like to get rid of their oem tail unit? I'd be willing to pay a little for it just wondering if anyone's got their old one lying around out there and isn't using it. I'm possibly gonna attempt to glue the plastic back together where it broke, but dont want to leave it that way forever.

Found it kind of odd however that the plastic was so fragile there and the signal would break out so easily. Anyway anyone else do something dumb like that to their bike like I just did?
jongunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ScottJon Send a message via Yahoo to ScottJon

I did the same thing the very first Saturday after i picked up my 796, a few weeks later, my jacket caught the other one, i rode for about a month with electric tape holding them on my beautiful Monster.

The tail chop kit was the only way out for me, i do love the look without that tail any way.

I spoke to the guys at the dealership where I purchased the bike, and they let me know i wasn't a total idiot and that many people have this same issue. it seems to me to just be a simple design flaw, but since the tail had to go anyway, this accelerated the process for me.

Good Luck
ScottJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

well, i used some epoxy that I had laying around that is used to put together golf clubs. Seems to be holding up, so maybe that'll get me by until I purchase a tail kit or something.
jongunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ScottJon Send a message via Yahoo to ScottJon

i tried epoxy too, but i ride every day and it didnt last the week, thats why i went to electric tape.

that worked until i replaced the section
ScottJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yup, I did it too within a month of getting mine.

I used a bit of superglue to hold the original plastics together until I got a Rizoma tail chop kit and a set of after market blinkers (also Rizoma). These have flexible rubber mounts, so even if I do catch a blinker again, it wont break.
Yamaha FZ1 (2008). Two Brothers Can, Obligatory tail chop and signals
Looking for a Monster S4RS Tricolore!
TaffyinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

The tail chops a must, and the brake light with integrated turn signals look real nice.

Don't Let Your Meat Loaf
Tdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I bought mine 796 someone at the dealer had already broken the signal (probably doing the same thing). Anyways, negotiated with the dealer to instead of replacing the OEM signal to instead install a tail chop - great deal for me since I going to get rid of the backend anyways.
vtwinryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Eh, go ahead with the tail chop. Your aesthetic sense will thank you later.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

I did the exact same thing to my new 796! I felt like such a moron and mine has electical tape around it too! Ive been contiplainting a tail chop kit also, i havent decided yet
easy2remember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Korean term for the style of kick you used to knock your turn signal off is 'Up Chuggi'
jjj0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement