Picked up an S4Rs late last year that had a full Termi system already installed. I was always a fan of the Arrow system, and had one on my 07 S4R. I always thought the Termis just looked too long. Particularly if the tail was chopped....which I was going to do. So I decided to cut the Termi pipes down. What follows is the basic steps I took...as best as I could when I remembered to take pics.
Tools you’ll need:
Basic tools to remove and install the exhaust canisters
Dremel with diamond cutting wheel (EZ545 with EZ 502 shaft)
Drill and bits
Aluminum rivets and rivet gun
Soft blow hammer
A whole shitload of patience
I started by taking a picture of the bike from the previous owner and doing a virtual hack job in photoshop. The hack job refers more to my photoshop skills, but it gave me an idea of the right length for the shortened pipes.
Here is a pic of the bike with stock rear fender and stock length Termis.
Here is my photoshopped version.
I measured the images and the shortened pipes were 84% of the stock pipes. With a stock length of 403mm, that worked out to about 339mm total. That meant I’d need to take about 2.5” off the tip end. NO real reason to switch from metric to inches. Just the easier side of the measuring tape.
Before I began the disassembly, it was critical to mark a centerline that ran down the can, the band, and the exhaust tip. That would ensure the cap could be realigned in the right position.
At this point is was time to measure and remeasure how much needed to come off. I used more tape to show how short the cans would be, and where the new decals would line up.