REAL HID bixenon projector retrofit, done - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default REAL HID bixenon projector retrofit, done

Here it is, my scatter-free legitimate HID conversion that actually provides better illumination, doesn't blind oncoming drivers, looks awesome, and wasn't really all that hard to do. Some of this is pasted in from another forum, so bear with me if there's a slight lack of continuity:

I decided to see if I can make a bixenon projector work in a stock monster headlight housing. I've seen one or 2 projectors on monsters, but I don't think theres been one done in a stock housing (now I think I know why lol) Jury's still out on whether or not it's going to work, but if the lens I just ordered shows up and doesn't instantly melt, I think I'll be in good shape.

Update:

I'm done.

Replaced the old glass with a plexiglass dome that needed ground, sanded, shaped, sized, etc.

Windowed the back of the bucket to clear the projector plugs, velcro'd ballast to airbox, ditched half the stock H4 wiring (while keeping it easily returnable to stock), grommets here, silicone there, painted ring and reflector, tore it apart 4 extra times to get the hi/lo cutoff exactly right, buried the wiring some more, chased loose ends, etc.

After a couple months of procrastinating, working, and running around in circles here's the finished product with a bunch of pictures:

Yes, I've since hidden that red wire.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most awesome!

GSXR K5 forks<br />GSXR K5 Radial Calipers<br />GSXR Carbon Front Fender<br />Ohlins Rear Shock<br />Terminogni HighPipes<br />DP Belly Pan<br />STM Clutch Slave<br />MTL Clutch Pressure Plate<br />Trailtech Vapor<br />14 Tooth Front Sprocket<br />K&amp;N Filter<br />Dynojet Stage 2<br />Corbin Seat<br />Hel brake lines<br />Carbon Bits an Bobs!
dyap38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

now all you need to do is fabricate more and post them for sale in the classifieds. Taking orders?
COP TZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I could probably be convinced. I'll be taking her cross country in a couple months for a test run, if it holds up and I didn't overlook any big problems maybe I will

At the very least a detailed write up...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
BKL

Nice work. Were you able to purchase the replacement plexiglass dome or did you have to fabricate it from scratch? How has the plexiglass held up as far abrasion is concerned? I tried a compact HID projector on my bike, but didn't like the relatively poor lght output, so I am thinking about using a larger projector that would need a deeper lens cover in front of it.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

wow very cool

still illegal, lol
RACER_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Brackstone

That headlight looks awesome
Brackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

any write up on the process?
Slowduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Awesome

Very British Streetfighter type front! 8)
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Slo Duc

Hello.
Beezwiz here (Rob) I'm in the far west burbs. Bartlett. Can't wait until March to ride again.
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement