696/796/1100 EvoTech tail tidy install - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 696/796/1100 EvoTech tail tidy install

well i got my EvoTech tail tidy kit today and installed it so i figured i would post pictures from my install here because the instructions are lacking IMHO.

Step 1: remove the seat and disconnect the electrical connection to the exhaust valve motor and the two bolts holding to the tail. (M796 and M1100 only)

Step 2: remove the small plastic clip on the bottom of the exhaust valve motor that holds the cable in place. (M796 and M1100 only)

Step 3: remove the cable from the bottom of the exhaust valve motor. (M796 and M1100 only)

Step 4: remove the cable and grommet from the tool kit tray.

Step 5: take the two bolts out of the tool kit tray and remove the tray.

Step 6: cut the zip tie holding the connection for the rear lights and unplug the rear lights.

Step 7: pull the exhaust valve cable out of the rear tail section. (M796 and M1100 only)

Last edited by LiquidDragon; 12-22-2010 at 10:10 PM.
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Step 8: remove the four bolts with the yellow factory markings and then remove the rear tail section.

Step 9: remove the four bolts with the rubber washers to separate the metal frame from the plastic frame.

Step 10: remove the cable with the red end from the lock mechanism so that the metal frame and plastic frame are no longer attached.

Last edited by LiquidDragon; 12-22-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Step 11: remove the three bolts holding the two plastic tail pieces together to access the wiring.

Step 12: disconnect all the wiring from the turn signals, tail light and the plate light.

Step 13: remove the lock assembly by removing the large plastic nut.

Step 14: remove the two screws holding the rear tail light to the plastic housing with a t20 torx bit.

Last edited by LiquidDragon; 12-22-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Step 15: install the rear tail light, lock mechanism and turn signals to the new EvoTech under tail bracket.

NOTE: install the turnsignals with the drain hole facing down so they can drain any water out.

Step 16: install the number tag with only the center bolt at this point.

Step 17: install the supplied crimp connectors to the number plate light and install the original wiring harness to the tail light, number tag light and the turn signals. left turn signal connects to XS and the right turn signal connects to XD

Step 18: reconnect the lock cable.

Step 19: install the four supplied spacers over the rubber grommets and bolt the new tidy tail to the original metal plate.

Step 20: reinstall the rear tail, tool tray and exhaust valve motor.

Step 21: reinstall the seat and enjoy your new EvoTech tail tidy.

Last edited by LiquidDragon; 12-30-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that it's the nicest and cleanest on tail eliminator on the market.

It should be noted that you don't have to mess with the exhaust flapper motor on a 696, since it doesn't have one. Everything else is exactly the same.

Oh yea, there is one thing worth mentioning... test the unlock cable several times to make sure that it still releases correctly, before you put the seat back on.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!

Last edited by TonyDiv; 12-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great write up.

I did mine a few months ago and it was PITA because I DID have to mess with the exhaust flapper (which may be why I have a persistent "check engine light").

It is he cleanest looking, but it also CRAMS all of the wiring into a very small housing, so just like Tony said, I had to readjust the cable a few times before the lock had smooth action.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you, LiquidDragon. I installed my Evotech tail tidy yesterday. I found your step-by-step instructions invaluable. The instructions that came with it were rather high-level (take it apart and put it back together with this new stuff).

The only issue I had was with step 8. I couldn't remove the bolts with the factory markings. I tried a regular allen wrench, a socket wrench, and a hex drill bit. I started to strip the bolts and they didn't budge, so I just skipped that step. It made detaching and reinstalling the lock tricky, but in the end I just removed the lock mechanism from the metal frame and it was easy.
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Thank you, LiquidDragon. I installed my Evotech tail tidy yesterday. I found your step-by-step instructions invaluable. The instructions that came with it were rather high-level (take it apart and put it back together with this new stuff).

The only issue I had was with step 8. I couldn't remove the bolts with the factory markings. I tried a regular allen wrench, a socket wrench, and a hex drill bit. I started to strip the bolts and they didn't budge, so I just skipped that step. It made detaching and reinstalling the lock tricky, but in the end I just removed the lock mechanism from the metal frame and it was easy.
Ive heard that the factory over tightened those four bolts on a couple bikes and people were having issues taking them off. Sorry to hear you had issues with the bolts but i am glad to hear that my write-up is helping.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, before LD wrote this up, I had to skip those bolts as well. I snapped an allen wrench on them.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

You do NOT need to remove the four bolts in step 8. Definitely AVOID this step if at all possible! These bolts are WAY overtorqued and I frickin stripped one of them which can now not be removed very easily. ARG. Will drill it out someday, in the mean time it's still in there tight.

Anyway, there's no need to remove these. DONT. Great write up and great tail!
Xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement