»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Monster 1100 Project

Well I bought my first Ducati last week and this week I have plunked down a bundle to start modding it. I will post pics as soon as everything arrives but so far this is the list of what I have on the way.

BST Carbon Fiber 7 Spoke Wheels
Corse Rearsets - Black
R&G Tail Chop
Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel

I am also meeting with a custom bike builder here in the area next week to discuss a custom fabricated exhaust system. I am looking at different options for the finale but I am certain at this point that I will be ceramic coating the entire exhaust system. I am thinking at this point I want a low mount exhaust so I can totally clear out the area underneath the tail and give it a nice clean look.

I will update the thread with pics as soon as possible and with future planned mods as money allows.
53Monster1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

BST wheels damn thats quite a first mod, i like. I was wondering how those would effect the steering response. The monsters seem to have very twitchy steering and I know light wheels can increase that considerably. Do you think an ohlins or other damper would offset the head shake?

rearsets are always nice too

I like the buell/quat-d under motor exhaust setups also, my right heel on my s4r hits my pipes all the time.

Cant wait for the pics.
thewrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will post a response to the headshake once I can experience the BST wheels. They should be here either Saturday or Monday. I will have them mounted ASAP. Ohlins might be the way to go but lets see how it feels first.

I definitely want a low mount exhaust but I was thinking something more Mad Max then the Quad D. I will see what suggestions my fabricator has.

I will post up the pics when the stuff arrives and then again once I can get it installed.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

As far as I know Ohlins isn't an option for dampers unless you want side mounted. DP and hyperpro are the only ones making a top mounted damper for the 1100. The hyperpro looks huge and there isn't much info on the DP damper ouside of the high price.

I'm interested in your exhaust setup as it sounds like something I've been hoping for. FYI, the quat-d setup should be out next month hopefully.
pitbull03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Curious about the weels. Are they really that much lighter that they are worth the cost?

What rearsets are those corse? I'm looking for some other rearsets mainly for the looks. I'm happy with the feel of stock ones. Maybe i'll bring them in with the powdercoater but i don't if black will match the frame enough for me.

Keep us up to date and GL with the mods.
CrazyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyD View Post
Curious about the weels. Are they really that much lighter that they are worth the cost?

What rearsets are those corse? I'm looking for some other rearsets mainly for the looks. I'm happy with the feel of stock ones. Maybe i'll bring them in with the powdercoater but i don't if black will match the frame enough for me.

Keep us up to date and GL with the mods.
From what I have been told and read, the front weighs 4.6 lbs and the back 5.65 lbs (or pretty close to those numbers) so the combined weight of both wheels is less then the weight of just the front OEM wheel. I have done the math and between the BST wheels and the exhaust I want to do I am shaving almost 30 lbs off the bike. And then there is the bling factor of carbon fiber wheels ;D I will keep you guys posted.

As for the rearsets, I bought them from Moto Wheels. I believe they are Italian. Check with those guys. They are anodized black and real solid billet aluminum. They arrived today. I should have the rearsets and tailchop complete by tomorrow. Wheels should arrive next week.

If anyone has a solution for me, I need help finding a clip on that will mount under the OEM triple.

Last edited by 53Monster1100; 07-15-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Monster1100 View Post
If anyone has a solution for me, I need help finding a clip on that will mount under the OEM triple.
SpeedyMoto tall boy mounts under the triple, but it has 2.5" of rise so the bar ends up being above the triple... not sure exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.desmoworks.com/index.php?...roducts_id=451
desmoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am looking for something with no more then 1.5" of rise. Do you know anyone that makes something? I know Woodcraft makes a 2 piece mount with a 1.5" rise but I don't know if those will work or not.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Monster1100 View Post
I am looking for something with no more then 1.5" of rise. Do you know anyone that makes something? I know Woodcraft makes a 2 piece mount with a 1.5" rise but I don't know if those will work or not.
There are tons of 50mm clip-ons out there as that is a popular fork diameter - the issue is if there is clearance or not. The standard 50mm clip-ons from SpeedyMoto had clearance issues due to their hinged design... that's why they developed the taller version.

I've not tried any others on the new Monsters so you might have some trial and error or searching to do to find something already proven to work. I'd say you'd be okay with any clip-on that is not a hinge style... but you'll have to take the top triple off to mount if they are a non-hinged one piece design. Two piece design would be fine too probably.
desmoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Get a front mount clip-on like the SMP Billet Clip-On 1.5" Risers: 50mm .

The side mounted clip-ons will limit your lock to lock tank clearance.

We now have adjustable bars that will fit he SMP clip-ons so you can get some angle adjustment.

-M

96 M944
98 900SS FE
01 996R
02 MV Agusta F4
02 ST4S
05 999R
06 SC1000
07 1098
10 Streetfighter
moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links