New 696/1100 rear shock information - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 696/1100 rear shock information

After having no luck with all of the US manufacturers and suppliers (or from Ohlins themselves because of their "arrangement" with Ducati) I contacted a few European shops since they have had an extra year to figure this out, for information about an alternative to the DP Ohlins rear shock unit.

I heard back from a major Swedish suspension shop and they recommend the Ohlins S46DR1 as the stock replacement. While only having preload and compression adjustments like the stock unit it is about half the price. But the good news is that this shock cross references for all years on the Honda 919, the Kawasaki ER-6, and the 2003 to 2007 non ABS SV-650. All of these bikes have applications listed with the US suppliers and builders.

Keeping in mind that the specs look right, they still need absolute confirmation. This may be progress.

Also Traxxion has confirmed that they have a cartridge kit for the forks that can include new caps for full external adjustments. Nobody else has been willing to help, not even being able to confirm if the Ohlins cartridge retrofit for the Showa forks will work ?

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for asking around for us. I've been doing the same thing but through email.
Kyle Racing here in the states has the Ohlins (non Ducati) shock for the 696. It's less than half the cost of the Ducati Performance branded Ohlins. They were advertising it for $727. You have to call them to get the actual price which I'm assuming is really good.
The Ohlins part number is DU737.

I've been really interested in Race Tech. Their G2-R kit is pretty much universal. The cartridges fit in different forks. You have to buy the proper adapter to make it fit the bike you have. I'm still waiting on their response for information on 696 fitment.
The 696 and the 848 share the same fork size as far as diameter and fork brand. Both are Showa and 43mm upside down. Obviously the 848 is a bit more "advanced" because it's forks are fully adjustable.

Race Tech can also revalve your shock and throw on the proper spring for your weight. They make their own springs.
I'm no 130 lb European...

On that note, I've seen a used fork (just one side) on Ebay. I'm tempted to buy it and send it to the different companies so they can use it to mock up stuff for our bikes.

Last edited by 1313; 04-27-2009 at 09:47 AM.
1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had made an inquiry with Kyle's Racing and he said that he could help with a shock but offered no information or help with the forks even though they carry and install the Ohlins retrofit cartridge kit for Showa forks ?

I'm not looking for just a re-valve and re-spring, I want a complete fork cartridge upgrade with external adjustments. So far, and believe me they are not my first choice (they have great product and service but Max and I have not seen eye to eye in the past) Traxxion is the only company that absolutely can do the work with in stock parts. I may be taking a trip to Georgia this summer

I haven't contacted Lindemann Engineering yet. They can TIN coat your tubes (or even do the new black DLC coating) and anodize the legs any color you want. Their rebuild quality is legendary but I don't think they do complete retrofits.

It is frustrating that you can buy a complete Ohlins fork kit with a new lower clamp for the Street Fighter, direct from Ducati, for a little over 2K. But they want the same for each leg of the stock 1100 or 1100S. I can get the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge rebuild plus a custom Penske shock from them for less than one leg from Ducati ???

Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm thinking about a road trip myself to Georgia.. Not sure if I'll ride though. I'm not seasoned enough for a long 800+ mile trip (one way) on the saddle.
If anything I'll tow the bike there.

I'll see as it gets closer to July and will keep my eyes open for new 696 products. It might save me the trip.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

When you are looking for information send them the attached diagram. Much to mine and the dealers surprise, the 696 has a cartridge in one fork leg and a damper rod in the other Thats why I am looking to have a complete cartridge upgrade in both legs and possibly why I'm not getting much help?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M696_09_G_2_8_00.33.1.1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	97221  
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm getting this close in taking off my forks and sending them off.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencers696 View Post
When you are looking for information send them the attached diagram. Much to mine and the dealers surprise, the 696 has a cartridge in one fork leg and a damper rod in the other Thats why I am looking to have a complete cartridge upgrade in both legs and possibly why I'm not getting much help?

Well crap! In your research has there been any reference if any of the the older forks from the superbikes such as the 748,749,999..etc possibly fitting? I'm sure finding the diameter and length would be easy, but finding one that uses the same caliper mounts would be tricky...unless you swapped out calipers as well..monoblocks would be sweet.
1daymaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default any news?

Bump

any info on the fork rebuilds?
DucatiTorrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement