696 Monster Cored Exhaust - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

We have modified one of the steps to simplify the coring process. You only have to cut all the way through the pipe once at the back. If you make 2 cuts near the spot welds (1/4 through the top and 1/3 through the bottom) you can remove the center baffle without cutting through the entire pipe a second time. that way it is a lot easier to tig back together. once the pipe is in 1 piece again take your rubber mallet and hammer back into the aluminum cover be sure to check the alignment of the bracket holes. If you use a band saw it should be pretty close. If you use a chop saw you may have to gore the holes out in the aluminum covers to line everything back up.

私は超刺激的でクールなため、私は自分の皿に日本の言葉をかける
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:47 PM

Alright guys, I have a talented team of metalworkers standing by to core my pipes on my 1100. Actually, my bro-in-law can weld, and I plan on drinking a beer while he does his thing. I might swing the rubber mallet, cause I think I can probably do that.

His question - are we talking MIG or TIG welding on this? Does anyone know what the material is that needs to be welded?
<EDIT> I just reread RyanRacer's post. TIG it is.

Last edited by bigjilm; 09-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I would drink too! The type of welding I did was tig with 309L rod.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 PM

Hey I just bought a 2010 monter 696 and i was wondering if anyone know a place i can get my exhaust cored since i cant weld myself...i live in the bay area....thanks!!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

I am still doing the cored pipes for board members.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM

I had been thinking about contacting you for coring my pipes. I have a couple questions for you though:
- How does the sound of cored pipes compare to a set of aftermarket pipes like termi's or arrows?
- I saw your covers are anodized. Can you do that as well or would I need to get someone else to do that?
- Lastly, can you post or PM me a price?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanracer View Post
I am still doing the cored pipes for board members.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Would a sawzall work in cutting the can? Also, what about jb weld to patch it back up?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM

I know this is an old thread but is there a possibility of getting the pictures for the links that do not work? I'd like to do this or pay someone if they still offer the service.

Thanks!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanracer View Post
Step 4

I would like to know if the center tube is welded to the center of the baffle in the first pic. If not, has anyone tried to use a metal cutting hole saw to cut a hole slightly larger then the outlet tube shown in the second pic and pull the center tube out from the rear? This way you would not have to even remove the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode