Termignoni exhaust, is it really worth it? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Termignoni exhaust, is it really worth it?

So I have been reading that you have to get a Termignoni exhaust to really appreciate your monster. For those who have it on their monster's, is it really worth it? I see the exhaust is $1500 to $2500! $2500, that's 1/4 price of a new 696! How much am I really going to gain?

Another issue I have is the "rice" factor. I really don't want my Italian bike to look like a Honda Civic with an obnoxious carbon fiber exhaust that makes all the noise but goes nowhere.

So please, I may sound very ignorant when it comes to bikes, but can someone explain to me if it's really worth it?
nvsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

does not look rice at all imho.
duc-e chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsage View Post
So I have been reading that you have to get a Termignoni exhaust to really appreciate your monster. For those who have it on their monster's, is it really worth it? I see the exhaust is $1500 to $2500! $2500, that's 1/4 price of a new 696! How much am I really going to gain?

Another issue I have is the "rice" factor. I really don't want my Italian bike to look like a Honda Civic with an obnoxious carbon fiber exhaust that makes all the noise but goes nowhere.

So please, I may sound very ignorant when it comes to bikes, but can someone explain to me if it's really worth it?
Most will agree that a free flowing exhaust for a Ducati is a must. It unleashes that characteristic Ducati sound as well as some power! Termi is a good option as they include a new ECU so minimal additional tuning is required.
desmoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I liked the change a LOT at first. It was great! Power delivery consistent, no lean spots in the RPM curve. Did well on a wet run up Mount Baker.

Then it went all out of whack, idling at 800rpms, and running rich at high RPMs. Back to the shop. They really worked on it, and it's mostly better...but has this metallic switch "pop" rolling off at slower speeds, with a drop in power. It sounds almost like the solenoid clicking, but it's coming from the motor. Still smells like fuel, too, although less. I'd really like to know what caused it; and am concerned that I'll be in this perpetual tuning department, with the DP needing tuning every time the temperatures drops ten degrees.

The pipes are great, and I'm not a fan of carbon. Smaller than stock, tucked out of the way.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JynToxic S4Rs
Cool

I would have to say that it depends on which monster you have as to how much you'd benefit from a full termignoni kit (some models only have slip-ons offered). Coming from me first hand, owning an S4Rs...I would say it is well worth it. The bike had incredible power off the showroom floor, but this kit has brought that level up to outstanding and the sense of its superbike roots. Beware though, for it brings the inner hooligan out of you and a reputation will be established with the law...like I have done in this county lol
http://www.myspace.com/maniacal_tendencies
JynToxic S4Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does anyone know why a "Termignoni 'Shorty' Race Carbon Slip On Exhaust For S4R/S4RS" wouldn't fit on a 2005 S4R? Thanks for the help.
Klear Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

An aftermarket exhaust is a must to hear the true sound of the engine, however, you don't have to go Termi.

There are lots of manufacturers out there who also produce carbon pipes (and no, there's no rice factor). I, for example, chose to go the Leo Vince route since I like the look and sound, but am not racing so I don't need a full exhaust system with an ECU remap. The Leo Vince slip-ons I got were less than $600 on sale and their quality is excellent.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I installed a set of carbon fiber termis on my 696. I honestly can't tell you that I can notice a performance gain (yeah, I made sure to reset the ecu). It does sound nicer to me, but my biggest plus is that it looks so much better than the stock cans.

$2500 for a set? That seems awfully high. I picked up my set for $1100 at the dealer, but maybe the M1100 set is more expensive.

Ricey? I don't think so. But I am Asian. I think if that's the only carbon fiber you have, you're safe.

Oh, and if you decide to do it, install it yourself. It's pretty darn easy, and not worth paying the dealer to do it.
sillisquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I put Titanium Termis on my 796 this Christmas and there is no doubting that they change the bike. With the db killers removed they sound like thunder, but you have to ride with ear plugs if your out for any lenght of time. The actual gain in power is marginal, the big surprise for me was how much smoother the engine feels, the engine breaking is less harsh and everything just feels that little bit more together. So, they sound great, they look great and they enhance the ride, are they essential ? No. This is my 4th year on Ducati and my 2nd Monster, for me it was as much a question of having the Termi expierience and not having that nagging " should I have " going on in my brain. I love my Termis but if money is an issuse don't feel like your missing out, they are simply more icing on the cake.
SouthFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

the best component of the Termi system is teh ECU.
but more and more the same ECU mapping is available from companies.
You can get aftermarket pipes, K&N filter and a remap for less than a termi system.
raux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement