Single sided swingarm on M900 revisited - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 09-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Default Re: Single sided swingarm on M900 revisited

The airboxes on the new monsters are rectangular, I'm not sure if the intakes are attached in the same way however. You *could* get pod filters and just avoid the whole problem.

Dan
EvilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash
Hey toolfan,
Let me see if I have this straight. You want me to "cut" off the bottom of my Carbon fiber tank? So.... I'm going to reattatch the bottom of another tank how? Also what is a "Fuelie" tank. Am I to assume that means fuel injected? If so, my 900S"ie" I believe is fuel injected. The problem from what I understand is the airbox is different on the post 02 models. So if I could just swap out the air box on the newer model then my tank would fit, right?
How is that more difficult than machining the mounting points on your engine, cutting and rewelding the frame, etc, etc? I wasn't sure if it was the plumbing or the shape that is the problem. As for replacing the bottom of the tank - seems like you could lay up new carbon fiber to attach it... Or just get a pod filter.
I dunno, if you want a SSS AND your current tank, it sounds like you are going to have to do something a little crazy.
Whatever I just typed was probably meant to be humorous with a tinge of sarcasm, so, please take it that way. It's also not intended as a personal attack, so, don't take it personally. It is afterall, just a semi-anonymous post on the internet. <br /><br />&quot;everybody needs a thumper&quot; - me.<br />No more monsters at my house.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheelinman900

Basically your options are this, buy a s2r swingarm, buy a SBK swingarm, buy one from motowheels, or buy one from Norm.
The s2r swingarms are really expensive and hard to come by, not really an option.
You don't really seem interested in machining/welding anything, so SBK swingarm is not an option either.
It seems to me that you either buy from Norm or motowheels, or consider machining/welding.

an s2r swingarm will bolt to your motor. You would have to have the upper mount built. The s2r should bolt right to the engine cases right?.You also can NOT find these on e bay. You mention you want originality, and exclusivity, then again, you may want to seriously consider Norm. His swingarm is beautiful! Norm just helped me do a SSS on my M750 without machining the cases, so there is a way, but I'll leave it to him to explain his design. It was actually his son's idea. We had to fabricate an upper mount as well, as well as cut off the old upper shock mount. Again though, I recommend that you consult norm about doing one custom for you. He can accomodate everything you have under most circumstances and make the swingarm work for you. He can do all this work for a little more money than you paid for that carbon fiber tank. Also keep in mind that you will have to get at least a new rear wheel.
2001 M750 Dark, gone yellow, Norm-modded Sils, SSS, Dyna Coils, FCR's, K&amp;N Pods, No emissions, SBK forks and clip ons, Ohlins Rear, Sargent Seat, Dyno'd 60rwhp Asheville, NC<br />2002 998-Full Ohlins, Arrow Full system, PCIII, Removed air runner restrictors Dyno'd 111rwhp Asheville, NC<br />1991 Suzuki GS 500- WRX Carbon Fiber Muffler... 17.99 on e bay
wheelinman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash
oh sure, and scrap all the mods I've already done to my Monster.* *:
Sorry, was trying to talk sense. I had a lot more written, but .......
Old 09-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Things to consider when doing the conversion (I've done it quite a few times now):

- not all kits include the hub, eccentric, brake, brakeline, sprocket assembly, chain guides, chain guards, etc.
- no kits include a rear wheel itself.
- stock Monster rearsets look UGLY after a SSS conversion -- thus you will inevitably upgrade those also.
- you will also upgrade and change the exhaust system. (custom as nothing out there for this scenario) Why have a cool SSS and opensided wheel and then hide it all behind two exhaust cannisters on each side?* Thus the S2R/S4R exhaust routing or some of the underengine or underseat exhaust systems to open up the swingarm / rear wheel area visually.

addendum May 6th, 2008: The DML died a rather unglorious death that wasn't deserved nor required. To all the fantastic Ducatista I met over the years via the original Ducati Monster List -- it truly was great while it lasted. Good luck all!
MotoCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement