Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1997 Monster 900 - Rev Counter

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  GBH 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Monster 900 and the Rev Counter suddenly quit working. Any ideas where I should start looking? Checked the Fuses but there isn't one for the IP. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
pics? i didn't know you could have a tach on a '97. my old '96 had a Roadracing tach kit that ran off one of the coils and the connector at the back of the tach broke on me. i would suggest tracing the signal wire from the tach. i wouldn't be surprised if it runs off one of the coils, and has a broken connector or short somewhere.

#3 ·
I had a Road Racing kit installed in Europe by the Ducati dealer, so that I could have a Tachometer. In '97 the Monster only came with a Speedometer. It has worked fin all these years. I have checked power in all the leads and applied Dielectric Grease to make sure of the electric connections. Power is OK all the way to the connection at the back of the Tachometer. There was a note in a thread somewhere to the effect that if the Battery Charge was low, that may cause a intermittent malfunction. So I have put the Battery on a trickle charge overnight. Will check later today and post back if that works. I am not too hopeful....

#4 ·
Monster Tachometer Not Working

I have tried charging the battery and then checking to see if the Tachometer worked. No luck so far. I am attaching some pictures.

Attachments

#6 ·
the good news is, last i heard one of our site vendors had a couple left for sale. the bad news, their rarity has caused the price to be kinda high. $600 gets you a kit with two fascias

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...onster-600-750-900-roadracing-tachometer.html

if that link doesnt work, go to the forum home page, DML Sponsor Classifieds, Monsterparts. you will see Roadracing Tacho kits listed from 03/2016.

hes a great seller, you might luck out and hes still got one left. id buy it in a hearbeat if i still had an early monster

#7 ·
I have tried to get in touch with him as you suggested, but no luck so far. He seems to have vanished. If you know of anyone else who may have a Tachometer like in the pictures in Post #4 & #6 let me know. Or else I am going to have to go back to the original Cluster without the Tachometer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.