Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum - View Single Post - '96 M944 race bike build/CCW trackday tank review
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Farmboyeeha

Ok then, photos are loaded in the bucket, are we ready? I thought so.

Now I had chassis, a motor and a tank. Although, this pic was after the frame was modified and painted. No matter, you get the idea.

Here's a shot of the lugs I welded on the head to carry the subframe for the front fairing. Full disclosure, I had access to a lathe, a mill, a tig welder, etc, and while I took metals all through high school and was pretty good at all of it, it's been 30 years (!) So, I gotta confess that, up close, some of these mods are not the prettiest. I ended up filing a lot of my welds back, and machined pieces to a rough spec, and so on. And, I fabbed a lot of the brackets with either a band saw or jigsaw and finished them up with a file and sandpaper. I wasn't looking for a showpiece or perfection, I wanted a usable, functional race bike, and race bikes are usually built to a 20/100 spec, that is, 20 feet/100 mph. I'd say this one is actually good to a 5/5 spec, which is plenty good for me. I didn't have time to perfect all my metal skills again; this project took me long enough. You'll get the idea with all the following pics.

Anyway, the lugs.

This is the carbon y inlet on Frankenduc, an actual Corsa piece. You can also see where the coils and ignitors are mounted on the edge of the frame, away from the engine and ostensibly in cooler air. On Frank, there are mounting lugs and separate brackets, but on the M, I just welded tabs to carry these components directly. Simpler, lighter. I assume it'll work in the long run, so far so good. This pic also shows a lot of the goodies on Frank, such as the mag triples, ti hardware, etc. The shop had the forks ti nitrided back in the day - this was before such features were production items. Frank also has numerous custom machined ti components such as the front axle, which is a copy of the corsa one (which I also have, along with the correct tool), cylinder studs (before production ti ones were available), and so on. They really went full-out when they built this bike, and yet, you can also see where the damper mount was welded to the frame and is still just bare metal. This is a real race bike. A lot of people think this bike needs a "restoration", but I prefer it with the real patina. Note too, regular 996 master cylinders with the ASV levers. No need for expensive exotic radial masters, these work fine on a 320# bike. Master cylinders tend to get destroyed in crashes, and I need to save money for tires and beer. I love race bikes, simple, elemental, beauty from purpose.

Here's the repro piece from the Czech Republic. comparable in cost to an alloy unit, but lighter with the added benefit of directing a more focused airflow back to the intake area.

And mounted. Again, I made all these brackets by hand. Not the trickest, but all it took was some time and good beer. I made the tach bracket back when I first built the M, and it's survived several crashes. Good 'nuff.

Pay no mind to my garage, it's a shed, really, but it works. the principles I live by are pretty evident, after all, I'm just a farmboy.

Here's the "airbox" and braces. There was a rear brace already, but take note, the stock one has to move an inch or so to accommodate the short Malossi manifold/41 FCR setup. We added the front brace as well; on Frank's frame these braces also have additional pieces forming something of an "x" at right angles to the horizontal pieces, but I really don't think it's necessary for the output from the air cooled motor. As I said, I've never had an issue with this chassis. The airbox, such as it is, is just fiberglass I laid up over a box and is really just designed to cut down on turbulence. The shop learned a long time ago through trial and error that this was the biggest return for effort expended. Might the bike make a bit more power with a true sealed air box? Probably, but not much, and it'd be a lot more complication, more weight, and a lot of work. These bikes are more about torque, anyway, and I doubt there'd be much by way of appreciable gains in that area. This pic clearly shows the coils and ignitors, too.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome