Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Brake fluid leaking

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  blknblu 
#1 ·
Hey there. Wondering if anyone has experienced a front brake fluid leak. I was riding today and looked down at my right boot to see an oily sheen on it. I stopped to check it out and it looks like brake fluid is leaking. It was slung all over my tire, fork etc so I couldn't really tell where it was coming from. Once I got home I cleaned it up and it appears as though it may be coming from around the banjo bolt. I looked at the reservoir and it looks to be empty or close to it. Any ideas? It's been hot here (approx mid 90's during the day) but I'm not sure that would contribute to anything or not.

TIA

#2 ·
If it's leaking from the banjo bolt, I'd drain the reservoir all the way, change the crush washers on the banjo bolt, and put the banjo bolt back in the reservoir and see if that has any effect on it. I don't have torque settings for the bolt.

And wash your bike. Brake fluid is nastiness to have everywhere.

#6 ·
That or an auto parts store... take the banjo bolt in and tell them you need crush washers for it, they'll get you what you need. They're just copper or some other soft metal which will form around the banjo bolt when you tighten it down.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. After further investigation today it is NOT the brake fluid. Felt the fluid and smelled it and it had a more thin oily make up. Cleaned everything up and waited... returned to find a puddle on the lip of the front wheel. Looks like it's coming from the fork. Appears I have a bad fork seal :( I'll do a search and see if I can find any information on this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.